Working on H/O or GC permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

I just did a job where the GC pulled all the permits. I didn't think much of it until it came time for the inspection. I told him I'd call the inspection in and let him know when it was incase he wanted to be there. He said he would call it in and I didn't need to be there for the inspection. He paid me and said he'd call me back to trim it out.

Now I'm curious. I've never had a GC not want me there incase the inspector had questions. I'm wondering if he really pulled a permit.

I can go to DBI and see if there are permits on file, but it got me curious. What if an electrical contractor bids a job and both the bid and the contract state that GC is responsible for permits, then the GC never gets permits? Does the Electrical contractor still have liability because his work was done without a permit?

Anybody know how this works?

Thanks

[ September 30, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: sfav8r ]

jeff43222

Re: Working on H/O or GC permit

I don't know how it works where you are, but the scenario you describe wouldn't fly here.

No contractor can pull a permit unless the contractor is licensed for the type of work listed in the permit. Some jobs require multiple permits, but the different permits are pulled by the contractors doing the work. GCs can't pull electrical permits.

I always pull my own permits. If a GC tried playing games with me on that subject, he'd be looking for someone else to do his wiring. Based on what you wrote, I think this guy is not on the level.

[ October 01, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

'Round here, the GC or the EC or the Homeowner (if applicable) can pull the permit.

If an EC is to do the work, the EC is listed on the permit. Liability established.

I am seldom present when inspections are in progress, whether we pulled the permit or not. It may be a hardship on the inspectors somewhat, but they have cushy government jobs - in every life, a little rain must fall. :D :D

electricmanscott

I don't usually say "Never" because I tend to look at every situation and then make a judgement. In this case however I would never, ever work under a permit other than one I took out.

davedottcom

Round here, it's typical of the GC to pull ALL of the permits, and that's the way I like it!
I have better things to do! :D
As an EC I will receive a post card from the bldng. dept. by mail saying my license Number is being listed on a permit for a certain address...so there is no chance of my Lic. # being used for a job I'm not doing.

As for wondering if the GC ever pulled the permit at all...the permit & inspection sheet must be displayed on the job site. ;)

Dave

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by jeff43222:
I don't know how it works where you are, but the scenario you describe wouldn't fly here.

No contractor can pull a permit unless the contractor is licensed for the type of work listed in the permit.
Same here. The EC must personally pull the permit and sign it listing his license number. Electrical permits are issued to only licensed EC's and homeowners.

jimwalker

I was always forced to sign for it.And every permitted job had a card to be seen.Everything depends on what the building department requires.

jeff43222

Originally posted by paul:
Same here. They have made the process easier by allowing us to get a permit online.
It used to be like that for me, but just yesterday I got an e-mail from the city saying that as of today, the city is no longer issuing permits. That means the state will have to take over permits and inspections. We had no warning, and I imagine the state is going to have to scramble to find inspectors to cover the city now.

I liked the system the city had set up -- online access for ECs to pull permits. The state still does things the old fashioned way: Pre-numbered permits, filled out in quadruplicate, either mailed in or applied for in person. A permit is considered valid to do work once it's in the mail, which I find a little screwy. Anyone caught working without a permit can just claim it must have gotten lost in the mail.

[ October 01, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.