Working Space - "flat & level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What they should do is say work should be a performed in accordance with recognized workmanship standards and add a fine print note referencing the NECA standard on these things.
The NFPA rules does not permit any rule in the NEC to require compliance with any other standard or recommend practice. That is why all such references are found in Informational Notes. And there is such a note in this section.
Informational Note:
Accepted industry practices are described in ANSI/NECA 1-2015, Standard for Good Workmanship in Electrical Construction, and other ANSI-approved installation standards.

The whole rule should just go away because if the inspection authority cannot cite an actual code rule that is being violated there is no safety issue and the code is only about safety and not about how the installation looks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If that's a meter socket for a utility meter, I hope its not too high for the utility company rules.

I don't think our local utility would blink twice before making someone redo that whole setup if the meter was 6" too high.

( I guess they couldn't complain is someone just poured a 6" pad in front of the switchboard instead of reworking everything. That would basically make the meter 6" lower compared to the working level.)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If that's a meter socket for a utility meter, I hope its not too high for the utility company rules.

I don't think our local utility would blink twice before making someone redo that whole setup if the meter was 6" too high.

( I guess they couldn't complain is someone just poured a 6" pad in front of the switchboard instead of reworking everything. That would basically make the meter 6" lower compared to the working level.)
I had to move one for 1" a long time ago. It was over blacktop, otherwise I would have just added fill.

GISdude

Hey ya'll,
I just wanted the installer to take into account(not every account) that I'm short. I'm kinda joking, but kinda serious. If you're the troubleshooter or the meter tech and you're short, it would be hard to get to the socket. I think we've kinda settled on the contractor to put in a "murphy foldable" type of platform. Just even with the raised pad. I don't think it's too much of a burden, but maybe the original plans should have been clear...or I should have been more thorough in my pre-con/field check.

Thanks for all the valuable comments. I still haven't seen it all...

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
With that equipment, it should really start at the interior doors, creating a violation, with or without a housekeeping pad.
On the basis that the electrical equipment starts at the face of the inner doors, and the outer enclosure and doors are not electrical equipment? What if they came from the same company as made the interior equipment? (I have no idea if that's plausible)

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.