Working space

cppoly

Paraphrasing here from 2023 NEC:

In 110.26 Spaces About Electrial Equipment, it says all electrical equipment requires working space, access to, and egress from.

In 110.26(A) Working Space, it says equipment likely to become energized has to follow the depth clearances listed in the chart.

Taking the wording literally from 110.26, can the term "Working Space" used in 110.26 be confused with the "Working Space" used in 110.26(A)?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In 110.26(A) Working Space, it says equipment likely to become energized has to follow the depth clearances listed in the chart.
It doesn't say likely to become energized it says "and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized". If it meets any of those conditions then the working space dimensions in 110.26(A)(1) are applicable.

cppoly

It doesn't say likely to become energized it says "and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized". If it meets any of those conditions then the working space dimensions in 110.26(A)(1) are applicable.
I didn't have enough coffee this morning, that's what I meant :]

cppoly

Now that I've had my coffee, the point I'm making is 110.26 says all equipment requires working space. Then following the next section, 110.26(A)(1) requires working space "and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" as per the table. To me, the term working space is not defined in 110.26 but it is defined in 110.26(A)(1). How much working space is required in 110.26 - or is that just subject to the AHJ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Now that I've had my coffee, the point I'm making is 110.26 says all equipment requires working space. Then following the next section, 110.26(A)(1) requires working space "and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" as per the table. To me, the term working space is not defined in 110.26 but it is defined in 110.26(A)(1). How much working space is required in 110.26 - or is that just subject to the AHJ?
It is a subjective rule, so yes, up to the inspection authority. Where 110.26(A) does not apply, the very fact that the equipment was able to be installed means that there was enough working space, assuming that space was not compromised after the electrical equipment was installed.