Working with Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company is interested in working with engineers in Kuala Lumpur. I am earnestly trying to evaluate how that might work and what we can expect. Has anyone had experience doing this either via Malaysia or another country? Does anyone know what they use for an electrical code?

Is it extremely different from the NEC (I gather it is NOT the NEC). I’m told that as a former British Colony, they still use codes from Brittain. But I’m not so sure about that either. Any insight any of you may have would be appreciated, especially if you tried to engage workers from over there. We have had some success getting drafting done in both CAD and Revit. But I’m wondering if jumpingi actual engineering is goingi to be trickier than some might think; i.e. a substantial learning curve.

Thanks

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My company is interested in working with engineers in Kuala Lumpur. I am earnestly trying to evaluate how that might work and what we can expect. Has anyone had experience doing this either via Malaysia or another country? Does anyone know what they use for an electrical code?

Is it extremely different from the NEC (I gather it is NOT the NEC). I’m told that as a former British Colony, they still use codes from Brittain. But I’m not so sure about that either. Any insight any of you may have would be appreciated, especially if you tried to engage workers from over there. We have had some success getting drafting done in both CAD and Revit. But I’m wondering if jumpingi actual engineering is goingi to be trickier than some might think; i.e. a substantial learning curve.

Thanks
i would expect working in India comes with a significant learning curve, and not much fee, not to mention it's difficult to do engineering remotely only using as-builts.

How does licensure work? What is the liability? Are US or CAN PE licenses reciprocated there?

Don't they have a serious oversupply of unemployed graduate engineers? I have to think they can get it super cheap locally. Why hire an American?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
i would expect working in India comes with a significant learning curve, and not much fee, not to mention it's difficult to do engineering remotely only using as-builts.

How does licensure work? What is the liability? Are US or CAN PE licenses reciprocated there?

Don't they have a serious oversupply of unemployed graduate engineers? I have to think they can get it super cheap locally. Why hire an American?
Wrong country. Try Malaysia.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Thanks
FWIW I did a couple of projects in Malaysia. These were variable speed drives. The application was tin mining. I don't recall any particular electrical problems. The standards were for UK so you might need to consider that. For example conductors would be metric, industrial enclosures would too.

For me it was the temperature, the humidity, and the insects bugged me. And the snakes. This was the zinc plant.we enjoyed:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Although I never went, my company got a contract to do some automation work in Kuala Lumpur at an automotive parts assembly plant. My partner went there for a few months before they/he pulled the plug on it. Our contract was to improve overall efficiency with automation, so my partner (a PE in Mech. and Elec.) did the first visit just to observe and come up with a plan. One of the first things he observed was that their components were delivered to work stations by little old ladies with shopping carts reading from paper parts orders generated by shop floor supervisors with a pencil and a pad of paper. So one of the first things he suggested was a bar code scanner and automated parts delivery system using pneumatic tubes from the store rooms. They rejected it because they had a "full employment" law stating that any efficiency improvements that were planning on replacing people had to include something for those people to do. That began to pervade everything he came up with to the point of him just giving up in frustration and coming back home. That was a $1.4 million contract that he walked away from, but he said he couldn't take the restrictions they kept putting on him.

That was 1996 and at that time, they were still using British Standards by the way. While he was there, I was boning up on them, they are not all that different.

I’m really sorry to have started his exchange and then to seemingly abandon it. A lot of good input as always. Thank you!

No - we know they’re not going to be able to stamp anything. The onus for that is still on one of us. So its not like you can give the whole thing to them and be done with it. What’s more, they’re not exactly in a position to field visits. Covid might have been advantageous for the whole thing with even meetings within the same city being held via one of the video conferencing platforms.

Although I never went, my company got a contract to do some automation work in Kuala Lumpur at an automotive parts assembly plant. My partner went there for a few months before they/he pulled the plug on it. Our contract was to improve overall efficiency with automation, so my partner (a PE in Mech. and Elec.) did the first visit just to observe and come up with a plan. One of the first things he observed was that their components were delivered to work stations by little old ladies with shopping carts reading from paper parts orders generated by shop floor supervisors with a pencil and a pad of paper. So one of the first things he suggested was a bar code scanner and automated parts delivery system using pneumatic tubes from the store rooms. They rejected it because they had a "full employment" law stating that any efficiency improvements that were planning on replacing people had to include something for those people to do. That began to pervade everything he came up with to the point of him just giving up in frustration and coming back home. That was a $1.4 million contract that he walked away from, but he said he couldn't take the restrictions they kept putting on him.

That was 1996 and at that time, they were still using British Standards by the way. While he was there, I was boning up on them, they are not all that different.
Interesting - all of it - but in particular the part about replacing jobs that have been replaced by automation with some other form of manual labor. Not to get political. But I think it is an interesting question to ask, what will happen when Amazon not only owes everything but also has all the robots and all the software to do everything. And it’s not beyond my imagination that the algorythms could be created for a pretty damn good electrical engineer,

But I digress. So we’ve ruled out degreed engineers on the PE path. Road blocs all along the way from 2 or 3 years of experience (and I’m not interested in degreed with zero experience and all the way through until they get the PE at which point they all want to be PM’s; Don’t know why they want to torment themselves with that. But I imagine its all about class and status..

So, I thought, how about a designer. Someone bright enough to have gone to school if he could have afforded it and someone looking for a way to get ahead via an alternative path all others being closed to him for want ot that degree. If you can find that person, you could pay him better than the engineers easily and he’d be well incentivised indeed,. I haven’t heard back yet, but I’m guessing there is an equal pay law I will run a fowl of. And what will happen when the engineers get wind of it? My next plan involves suitcases full of Malaysian cash. But that too requires connections To the right kind of people. By which I mean, the wrong kind of people.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When you say "working with", what exactly is the relationship going to look like? Are you interested in designing projects in Malaysia or looking for them to do designs for projects Stateside (outsourcing)?

Status
Not open for further replies.