Working without a license

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

There is an electrical contractor in our area (Virginia) that uses apprentices to do the majority of work but they do not carry a licence (journeyman's). The whole shop operates under the Master's licence. Not all jobs are supervised by anyone who is licensed. Is this legal? Thanks in advance.

JohnJ0906

rich000 said:
There is an electrical contractor in our area (Virginia) that uses apprentices to do the majority of work but they do not carry a licence (journeyman's). The whole shop operates under the Master's licence. Not all jobs are supervised by anyone who is licensed. Is this legal? Thanks in advance.

Each state - sometimes each county - has different rules.

rich000

working without a license

working without a license

iwire said:

I looked there. That is why I came up with the question. It states:

"54.1-1129. Necessity for licensure.

A. Beginning July 1, 1995, no individual shall engage in, or offer to engage in, work as a tradesman as defined in ? 54.1-1128 unless he has been licensed under the provisions of this article. Individuals shall not be subject to licensure as a tradesman when working under the supervision of a tradesman who is licensed in the specialty for which work is being performed. Individuals holding a license in one specialty shall not be required to have a tradesman license in another specialty when performing work which is incidental to work being performed under their own specialty license."

Is this a common practice in other areas too? i.e. Workers in the field not licensed doing the work and not being supervised (someone in the field checking their work).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
rich000 said:
Individuals shall not be subject to licensure as a tradesman when working under the supervision of a tradesman who is licensed in the specialty for which work is being performed.
Define "supervision."

I've called the Va. D.P.O.R. and asked whether I can still run jobs while, for example, home recovering from surgery.

The simple answer was that you do not have to be physically present in order to supervise. But, you are as responsible.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I think that dog used to be in the Village People.
No, that was The Village Puppies. Here's another one:

villagedoggie1.jpg

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Define "supervision."

I've called the Va. D.P.O.R. and asked whether I can still run jobs while, for example, home recovering from surgery.

The simple answer was that you do not have to be physically present in order to supervise. But, you are as responsible.

In MA it is 'under direct personal supervision' and in either RI or CT it's within 'ear shot or sight' if I remember correctly.

360Youth

In NC you'd be hard pressed to find licensed individual on the job. That is usually the owner doing owner stuff while crew of competent but unlicensed workers are on site. If the crew is licensed it is probably their own, having nothing to do with actual company business. I realize that is a generalization in a small section of the state, but based on percentages I would guess it to be pretty accurate.

iwire said:
In MA it is 'under direct personal supervision' and in either RI or CT it's within 'ear shot or sight' if I remember correctly.

Cell phones have solved that one. :grin:

rich000

LarryFine said:
Define "supervision."

Thanks Larry.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suspect a lot of jobs require very little in the way of direct supervision.

It should be up to whoever is responsible to determine what level of direct supervision is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.