workstation wiring 605.6 & 605.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

IF the workstation is an 8-wire, 4-circuit configuration(4H,2N&2G) would you install a 3P breaker for the 3 circuits sharing a neutral & a 1P, 20A C/B for the dedicated circuit or should you tie all (4) 1P, 20A circuit breakers together?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: workstation wiring 605.6 & 605.7

Neither. Use only single pole breakers. Why would you want an overload on one circuit to trip three or four CB's at the same time?

bwyllie

Article 605.6 & 605.7 states "Multiwire branch circuits supplying power to permanetly connected (freestanding) partitions shall be provided with a means to disconnect simultaneously all ungrounded conductors at the panelboard where the branch circuit orginates"

jbfan74

That is a change from the 2002 code which does not have that part included. That will make things more interesting at work now!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Wow! Guess that I missed that change in the 2005 NEC. Am I alone here in thinking that this is a bit ridiculous? I understand that it's for the additional safety factor. But we've installed hundreds of these partitions, many with 6 circuit feeds. Do they make a six pole handle tie?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by infinity:
Wow! Guess that I missed that change in the 2005 NEC. Am I alone here in thinking that this is a bit ridiculous? I understand that it's for the additional safety factor. But we've installed hundreds of these partitions, many with 6 circuit feeds. Do they make a six pole handle tie?
I think the way it is worded it only has to disconnect simultaneously the conductors of one MWBC at a time.

If we take it your way we have real trouble a s group of interconnected partitions can have many feed locations. :) :p :roll:

bphgravity

I am also in agreement that the code should not add requirements that are only designed to protect those performing unsafe work practices.

I was recently made aware of an experiment made at the local community college here in town. A student painted a sign and posted it on the wall next to the door entering the library. The sign read, "do not touch this sign".

A hidden video recorder was setup to catch people walking into the library. During the 2 hour recording 65 students touched the sign. 84 entered the door during that time.

What does that tell you. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.