Would attached fall under NEC 2017 680.62 or 680 part VII or any other NEC 2017 Articles?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached pdf shows Hydromassage datasheet. I let the engineer know to comply with NEC 2017 Article 680.62 Hydrotherapeutic Tanks or NEC 2017 Part VII Hydromassage Bathtubs. However, the engineer came back with the following:

"You mention Hydromassage, Spas, and Hot Tubs. I have attached the Cutsheet on the Hydromassage bed that we are using. It is actually not getting the user wet by any means (i.e. the water jets at a vinyl cover that keeps the user dry). That being said, would you like us to still comply with this section of the code?"

I did some research of my own but I am still confused. I don't see this as hydromassage bathtub since it does not have bathtub but I could be wrong please correct me here if I am wrong. Also, it does have tank to hold water, but person does not get immersed in it instead it either has table or chair in which their no contact of water and the that chair or table gets massage thru water jet. See the attached cut sheet. So it gets confusing as to which NEC 2017 Article apply here. Therefore, I wanted to get some insight, opinions from you all. Attached is the cutsheet that the engineer submitted. Would this kind of Hydromassage fall under NEC 2017 680.62 or NEC 2017 Article 680 Part VII Hydromassage bathtubs?

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• HydroMassage 340-350Series.pdf
    299.7 KB · Views: 14

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is not a tub and does not fall under Article 680. See the definition of hydromassage bathtub in 680.2. Terms that are defined in the code must be applied as the code defines them.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
That is not a tub and does not fall under Article 680. See the definition of hydromassage bathtub in 680.2. Terms that are defined in the code must be applied as the code defines them.

It does have tank to hold water but person is not immersed in the tank. They sit on chair or table.

Would this fall under NEC 2017 Article 680.62 Hydrotherapeutic tanks then?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Google Hydrotherpuatic tanks and you will see they cal for body immersion into the water.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don’t understand. What would be an example of hydrotherpuatic tank that NEC 2017 Article 680.62 is speaking off?
Even the code language in the section you cited says " ...for the submersion and treatment of patients ..."