Would hot stick be considered as mechanical linkage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi,

Per NEC 230.205(A) the disconnecting means are permitted to be located in a location that is not readily accessible (I.e.pole), if the disconnect switch can be operated by mechanical linkage. Would hot stick opening/closing a pole mounted fused disconnect satisfy this requirement?

Thanks,
EE

Where are you in the world. It depends on the AHJ I can do a stick to a buss disconnect where I live now but years past it was a no no in another state. Hot stick or stick to a ceiling mounted buss disconnect are different things , just want to make sure we are on the same page.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, the code is looking for a permanently installed ground level operating handle connected to the overhead switches via mechanical linkage.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In my opinion, the code is looking for a permanently installed ground level operating handle connected to the overhead switches via mechanical linkage.
The horizontal ones work OK, but we are having a lot of problems with the verticle ones

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The horizontal ones work OK, but we are having a lot of problems with the verticle ones
Have never really installed anything like that. The link I posted was just the first one that I found that showed the type of equipment that I believe the code requires for the application.

kwired

Electron manager
Hi,

Per NEC 230.205(A) the disconnecting means are permitted to be located in a location that is not readily accessible (I.e.pole), if the disconnect switch can be operated by mechanical linkage. Would hot stick opening/closing a pole mounted fused disconnect satisfy this requirement?

Thanks,
EE
If the "hot stick" doesn't permanently remain in place or very least remain available to use somehow, I'd definitely say no.

I think the intent here is to have ready access to an alternate mechanical means to operate the switch vs direct action on switch.

If POCO is typically only ones who are able to "show up, get out their hot stick, then operate the switch" I don't see it as meeting the intent.
If it is an industrial establishment where qualified people are normally around and they normally have ready access to a "hot stick" to operate this switch, it may be acceptable.

If the "hot stick" doesn't permanently remain in place or very least remain available to use somehow, I'd definitely say no.

I think the intent here is to have ready access to an alternate mechanical means to operate the switch vs direct action on switch.

If POCO is typically only ones who are able to "show up, get out their hot stick, then operate the switch" I don't see it as meeting the intent.
If it is an industrial establishment where qualified people are normally around and they normally have ready access to a "hot stick" to operate this switch, it may be acceptable.
this is exactly what i was talking about the stick not attached in a factory but available , at my farm it is attached to the pole the few times I have to open that I always check it with a meter before touching the handle outside wet and dusty,

Status
Not open for further replies.