Would like to get opinions about Clamp-on-Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinware

I am in the market for a new clamp-on-meter. I have been looking at equipment from "Extech", to be more specific the ?EX730? model. It runs anywhere from $150 to $160. I want a quality meter and I am from the old school of ?Fluke?. But as anyone knows the price will be almost double for anything with the Fluke name on it. Is there a huge difference in the quality between the two products? What are the opinions of the electricians on this form???

Thanks,
Kevin
Check out the meter here.

http://www.extech.com/instrument/products/400_450/datasheets/EX710_720_730.pdf

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
No direct experience with this meter but sometimes it is what they do not say in the data sheet that deters me. Compare this data sheet to the Fluke you might consider.

brian john

I own several clampons from a variety of manufactures and when I saw the Ideal TightSight meter, I bought one ASAP. While it was a good meter and the dual screen was very helpful, I found the lock button to be a PIA, as I would constantly hit the button. I gave the meter away. Supposedly this meter has been redesigned to relocate this feature. Anyway if you buy one make sure you get the redesigned meter.

HMMMMMMM do manufacturer's listen? Hopefully, or was it just easier for them to build the meter in the new configuration.

whillis

I've had a number of clamp on meters over the years but I'm currently using a Greenlee because it has the features and resolution that I need for the work I do. I've been using it for about two years and I've found that it's robust, reliable, and a better value than the equivalent Fluke meter.

The Extech look OK but it's only rated CAT III so it may not be suitable if you do service entrance work.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
ptonsparky said:
I like the Fluke and have several but the clamp around seems to have a slow response. Have a another brand I like real well but can't for the life of me remember what it is right now. CRS disease.
Not to dampen your day, Tom, but you realize that there is no cure.

76nemo

kevinware said:
I am in the market for a new clamp-on-meter. I have been looking at equipment from "Extech", to be more specific the ?EX730? model. It runs anywhere from $150 to $160. I want a quality meter and I am from the old school of ?Fluke?. But as anyone knows the price will be almost double for anything with the Fluke name on it. Is there a huge difference in the quality between the two products? What are the opinions of the electricians on this form???

Thanks,
Kevin
Check out the meter here.

http://www.extech.com/instrument/products/400_450/datasheets/EX710_720_730.pdf

If you can't afford to spend much money, than why are you considering a clamp-on tester? Why not just get a clamp-on accessory for your DMM? Do you have to have the inrush function as well as measure DCA?

nc5p

Yesterday I picked up a Fluke 322 for $120. That one has both 400 and 40 amp ranges so it's pretty solid at lower currents. That's been one of my complaints with some of these meters, they sometimes don't read accurately at lower currents. Came with a carrying case, battery, and probes. The Fluke 336 does both AC and DC but the price is up there, around $320. It has max and min which comes in handy. Lots of other features, too. It was tempting but I resisted this time.

76nemo

nc5p said:
Yesterday I picked up a Fluke 322 for $120. That one has both 400 and 40 amp ranges so it's pretty solid at lower currents. That's been one of my complaints with some of these meters, they sometimes don't read accurately at lower currents. Came with a carrying case, battery, and probes. The Fluke 336 does both AC and DC but the price is up there, around $320. It has max and min which comes in handy. Lots of other features, too. It was tempting but I resisted this time.

Mind you the 322 is not RMS, it doesn't have the inrush feature, it doesn't measure DCA, and it sounds like the OP needs to measure up to 800A.

I'll take Fluke's 337 anyday out of the week over the Extech, but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for in test equipment.

Testing Equip

Testing Equip

I have found these guys to be very useful when searching for clamp-on meters at a great price.

Moderators note; link to retailer removed, please contact poster by PM for this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.