would you warranty or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

I got a call from an job I did about 2years ago LONG DRIVE , he is nice guy and I did a few days work for him and he paid well upon completion>>

>> The gazebo sits atop a 60ft bluff on the south side of a large lake. I did not provide the fan. I do remember installing new switches and rec. I did replaced the old fan that had been weathered and had shattered blades(I think?its been a while) The customer describes: "that the pivot ball has wallowed out of the mounting bell and that the fan was mounted poorly-there was no hook/ball bracket installed". I , believe that the cheap ceiling hugger that fan went into warp drive during the last spring storm. He is expecting me to pay for the replacement fan? Should I pay for the fan or not?? Should I provide free labor?? Its summer I would drive my boat, but, its a tall hike up the cliff !!

hardworkingstiff

Was the fan rated to be installed in a windy environment?

Did you install it to the manufacturer specifications?

Based on the information provided, I would not warranty it. If you felt like you might have been negligent when installing the fan, then, maybe, I don't know.

mcclary's electrical

No warranty on that one. Nicely explain that one year is our law. Sometimes you'll honor 16-18 months, but 2 years is double. Come on, he got his money's worth. Everyhthing is throwaway nowadays

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Maybe explain it nicely and offer a discount on hanging replacement fan? If you want to try to buy some good will. From what I hear a lot of guys are wondering what they can do to get enough work to survive.

But don't give it to him, as a great man once said a person can just as easily go broke watching Oprah.

growler

The customer describes: "that the pivot ball has wallowed out of the mounting bell and that the fan was mounted poorly-there was no hook/ball bracket installed". I , believe that the cheap ceiling hugger that fan went into warp drive during the last spring storm. He is expecting me to pay for the replacement fan? Should I pay for the fan or not??

Did you give him a lifetime warranty that covered all kinds of weather conditions???

Read your warranty, it's either covered or it's not.

mxslick

I also say no, but agree with offering a discount to install a replacement fan. And try to get the customer to buy a fan rated for that outdoor use though.

ceb58

Yes, I would say no also. Just think of the environmental conditions it has been subjected to over the last two years. If it were a REAL good customer then I would entertain the idea of replacing it for no labor but he would still supply the fan. I would take it from your post that this is the first time the customer has contacted you in two years. That's not a REAL good customer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That he provided the fan is the deciding factor, time lapse aside. You did install the fan correctly, right?

Offer him your usual rate for the job, drive time included, and no markup on the new fan if he buys it. :cool:

I would suggest to him that it might be in his best interest to find a local electrician for a job this small.

Status
Not open for further replies.