Wrong Ground Rods at Big Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Fellow employee- non electrcian- had a violation on an installation, it was for 1/2" galv ground rods (required to be 5/8" if not listed). Turns out the big box receipt, and shelf label all stated 5/8". The electrical inspector stopped by to discuss with store, they had a pallet full of undersized ground rods...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How can they inspect a ground rod, that's already in the ground, to see if it's listed or not?

SEO

roger3829 said:
Must have X-Ray vision??
Galvan industries has a ground rod gage . As long as you can get to upper portion of rod at least you will know if it is at least 5/8". As far as listing of rod if it's driven listing marking will not be visiable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SEO said:
Galvan industries has a ground rod gage . As long as you can get to upper portion of rod at least you will know if it is at least 5/8". As far as listing of rod if it's driven listing marking will not be visible.

I was just wondering. Someone can easily measure the diameter to see if it's 1/2" but the listing marking will be buried.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The listing marking is near the top of the rods and many inspection authorities require that the top of the rod and the connection be left exposed until it has been inspected.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
The listing marking is near the top of the rods and many inspection authorities require that the top of the rod and the connection be left exposed until it has been inspected.

How close to the top? Around here if 3" is sticking out of the ground you'll have to pound it all the way in to pass the inspection.

SEO

infinity said:
How close to the top? Around here if 3" is sticking out of the ground you'll have to pound it all the way in to pass the inspection.
Per UL ground rods are marked with the rod length, and manufacturer's name and catalog number within 12 in. of the top of each rod. So to see listing 12" shall be visible , dig down around rod if inspector requires to see or leave dirt out and have inspector fill in after he looks. I have no problem filling in dirt around rods.:smile:

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SEO said:
Per UL ground rods are marked with the rod length, and manufacturer's name and catalog number within 12 in. of the top of each rod. So to see listing 12" shall be visible , dig down around rod if inspector requires to see or leave dirt out and have inspector fill in after he looks. I have no problem filling in dirt around rods.:smile:

I would just use a 5/8" rod and call it a day so that I don't need to go back and through a few shovel fulls of dirt around the rod after the inspection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
infinity said:
I didn't say that they left the top of the rod above grade. They make you leave a hole around the rod so that they can inspect the termination. If the UL mark is more than a few inches from the top of the rod it will not be visible, but the only rods that are required to be listed are those less than 5/8" in diameter.

ceb58

tom baker said:
Fellow employee- non electrcian- had a violation on an installation, it was for 1/2" galv ground rods (required to be 5/8" if not listed). Turns out the big box receipt, and shelf label all stated 5/8". The electrical inspector stopped by to discuss with store, they had a pallet full of undersized ground rods...

I had the same happen to me at slowes. Grabbed 2 rods and as soon as I did I knew they were 1/2 not 5/8. The reason I knew instantly was many years ago I worked for a company that made and galvanized there on ground rods. After cutting and handling the rods for a few years you just know by the feel of them what size they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.