Wrong transducer

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Years ago I managed to buy a pressure transducer with the wrong pressure range. It is 0-15 lb, 0-10 volt. Burst pressure is 138 lbs. It will never reach that. Something else will burst before that. I can limit the output range via the PLC.

I am curious as to what mechanically will happen to it if the normal operating pressure is 0-100. Will it lose accuracy? Just quit?

JoeStillman

It's very likely that you will lose accuracy. Is there another instrument you can use to see how accurate it is in the high range? The manufacturer should be able to give you a response curve.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you're running that close to burst pressure, I would guess that there will be plastic deformation on some of the components. That may cause some hysteresis in the system response.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am running max of 99 PSI and that would be by accident. It is used to for tire inflation in the range of 4-75LB. I added the 0-15 lb to see if it had better accuracy than that of the 0-100 at the lower scale. It doesn't appear to, given the parameters I have set for each. Both transducers are in use.

Why? Because I had it and I am retired with time on my hands.