Wye-Delta Floating Ground Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztg123

I had a question brought to me by one of our operations guys regarding the voltage on the floating ground of a Wye-Delta transformer bank. I am unsure on how to go about calculating this voltage. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. If you need to know it is a 14400V primary L-G and a 120/240V secondary bank. Thanks in advance!

kwired

Electron manager
I had a question brought to me by one of our operations guys regarding the voltage on the floating ground of a Wye-Delta transformer bank. I am unsure on how to go about calculating this voltage. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. If you need to know it is a 14400V primary L-G and a 120/240V secondary bank. Thanks in advance!

Are you asking about voltage on a floating wye point of the primary winding?

"Floating ground"? If it is grounded it has a ground reference, "floating" usually means there is no ground reference.

Your 120/240 secondary is likely grounded at midpoint?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

The only way to get 120/240v from a 240v delta transformer bank is with one center-tapped secondary to derive a neutral; you'd have 208v to neutral from the high leg.

Forgetting the neutral (which is normally grounded) for the moment, the voltages to ground on a floating system are meaningless. What you should have is a 240v delta (no 120v).

oldsparky52

As far as I know, the only "floating ground" would be on an ungrounded delta which would be just 240V phase to phase and no neutral (nor ground reference) would exist.

Welcome to the forum.

The only way to get 120/240v from a 240v delta transformer bank is with one center-tapped secondary to derive a neutral; you'd have 208v to neutral from the high leg.

Forgetting the neutral (which is normally grounded) for the moment, the voltages to ground on a floating system are meaningless. What you should have is a 240v delta (no 120v).

Conjecture here, but I think OP is referring to the rating /writing on the individual transformers. Usually I see utility transformers marked "straight 120/240" which of course connected into the common wye configuration gives 208/120.

The line to ground voltage on an ungrounded 240 Delta would probably show up as 138 when measured with a high impedance meter due to capacitive coupling, but it could be "unbalanced". To figure it out, draw a wye inside the Delta triangle and compute it will just be L-L voltage divided by sqrt(3). Reiterating what others have said, this voltage is pretty much meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.