Wye-Delta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
So while standing in line at 8:30 AM waiting for a PCR test [90 minute wait, 5C, brrrrr] I looked up at the pole pigs.
Maybe my brane froze too, because it looked to me as if it was wye in, delta out.

The three primaries dropping straight from the cutouts into their single top bushings. From another angle, I saw a jumper across the top that tied at least two xfmrs together; I think it was all three but could not tell for sure.

You can see the 3 phases feeding the building [red, black, green] {1}. The secondaries seem to be connected 2-1; I saw at least 2 of the crimp splices.
[If you click on the clock 'street view' bar, you can see previous imagery; it looks like it was reworked in 2017]

So am I wrong? I'd always seen Delta-Wye on pole pigs. And if the opposite, wouldn't there be a bigger neutral there?

1} As I've previously said, a PEPCO lineman taught me: "Green is ground, the world around..... except for PEPCO.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There isn’t any street view.
sounds like an ungrounded wye and either a center grounded or corner grounded delta.
I can’t see it so I’m not sure what your looking at…

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
There isn’t any street view.
sounds like an ungrounded wye and either a center grounded or corner grounded delta.
I can’t see it so I’m not sure what your looking at…

I had the URL in the first line "pole pigs"....

It's at [39.024576908369106, -77.01904440985038]

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Gonna be hard to believe, but it’s a wye-wye 120/208 bank…

The 100s are single bushing. The H bushings are tied to X0 inside.
the secondary side is 4 paddle 2 coil XFs. (ABCD)
They can be connected externally rather than have to go internally to change the coil wiring.

Im trying to find a picture for you…

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Bu I thought the big plus to Delta-Wye was harmonic suppression. And are not harmonics getting worse and worse?
It looks the feed was upgraded circa 2007.

GE had a book called Whys & Whys or Whys of Whys or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.