x ray machine problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

navad1

Fluorescent lights flicker when new x ray machine takes exposure. Everything done to x ray company specs. Single phase, 240 volt, 150 amp, oversized wire.
What should I do next. I have hooked up numerous x ray machines before, never had this problem.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Most likely the electrical system is not sufficient to properly support the starting/operation of the X-ray machine.

I would look at voltage when the machine operates. Problem may lie at the transformer feeding your service, or too small of a transformer feeding the panel that has the X-ray branch circuit in it.

iwire

Staff member
Not that he needs my support but I agree with kingpb.

Your new work may well be oversized but what about the existing feeders / transformers or service conductors.

broadgage

As above, X ray machines draw substantial short term currents, this results in voltage drop in the service entrance conductors, feeders, transformers, and in extreme cases even in the POCO system.

Upsizing the service conductors and any feeders should help.

Cheaper options include, if the X ray machine is on the same feeder as the lighting, can either the X ray machine or the lighting be transfered to a different feeder, thereby avoiding drop in the feeder affecting lights.

If the service is three phase 240 volt, can the lighting and the X ray machine be put on different phases.

If the service is 277/480 volt with a customer owned transformer for 240 volts, is the X ray machine also listed for 277 volt, in which case connecting it thus will elimate drop in the transformer.

Electronic lighting ballasts are more tolerant of voltage dips and might be worth it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree it is probably a VD problem. Not a whole lot different than in a lot of homes where the lights dim when the A/C or fridge comes on.

The thing is that oversizing the wiring to the xray machine will make the problem worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.