X10 RF controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

a customer would like to install 13 X10 duplex receptacles and 1 x10 dimmer with hand held remote to control the 13 outlets individually

while I am familiar with X10 I have not installed an X10 system before.
I am looking for advice as far as brands go.
Customer asked me about aspire from cooper. I am looking at aspire, Leviton and Lutron

Thanks.
Cameron

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
a customer would like to install 13 X10 duplex receptacles and 1 x10 dimmer with hand held remote to control the 13 outlets individually

while I am familiar with X10 I have not installed an X10 system before.
I am looking for advice as far as brands go.
Customer asked me about aspire from cooper. I am looking at aspire, Leviton and Lutron

Thanks.
Cameron

I wouldn't touch X10-it's an unreliable toy. I would use Lutron PICO. I note that you said dimmer. Dimming a standard outlet is not code compliant. Lutron does, however, make a compliant recep. for dimming.

Riograndeelectric

sorry for the confusion.
what I meant by X10 was I am looking for recommendations for RF controlled system for 13 duplex outlets and 1- RF dimmer switch for dimming of incandescent lights the 13 outlets are to be controlled individually.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Are you speaking of Insteon , it is a pretty good system ans reliable as long as you have communication to all the devices. Bridges are a must.

frankft2000

Lutrons MA-S8AM is a digital switch with out the dimmer. I installed one a while ago with a Pico to control florescent lights. Worked great.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As has been previously mentioned, stay away from X-10 and look to a better system like Insteon. I've installed X-10 in several instances and have had to pay for my education big time. In one installation all the devices I installed worked fine when I left. A week later people called me back insisting that lights would not turn on or off. I drive all the way out there only to find that their daughter came home from college and plugged in her lap-top computer charger. The noise that transformer generated on the AC lines was enough to block the X-10 signal. There are many other devices that cause this problem like TV's, video games, etc. So, you have to be careful. I don't think you'll have these problems with the higher end gear.

tx2step

Internet control?

Internet control?

Do any of them have Internet on/off control? Internet verification? Other Internet & smartphone controls & stuff? If so, have you found it to be reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.