XFMR Single phase the 3 Phase

Zyb

Occupation
Design Engineer
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a transformer, would the transformer (image below) work? and can you also verify my drawing. Thanks
  1. is there a single phase to three phase Y transformer?
  2. is my 20A fuse correct [(1.25 x 11,400) / (480 x 1.732)]?
  3. is the ground wire correct?
  4. on the 480V side how many conductors should be connected to the transformer?
  5. if there are two SE11400H-US inverter does this mean that 30kVA is enough?

XFMR.png
XFMR2.png

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This might work (as in, inverter turns on and outputs power), but it's the wrong way to go about it.

If you have a three phase service you want a three phase inverter these days. If the smallest 480V Solaredge inverter (30kW) can't be justified then I would go with the 208V 10kW inverter and a 480 to 208wye transformer. (Probably with a delta primary.)

Interconnecting a single phase inverter to just one phase of a three-phase 480V service is not so likely to receive utility approval. The transformer you have specified also appears to have a high-leg secondary which is ... unnecessary.

If it's going to be larger than one 10kW inverter I strongly advise filing the interconnection application before you build this one.

Reactions: Zyb

d0nut

There are a lot of issues with what is shown.
  1. There is not a single phase to three phase transformer. You would need a rotary phase converter or something similar to turn a single phase system into a three phase system.
  2. You can put whatever size of fuse you want on the secondary of a transformer. You just have to size the conductors to match the fuse size. I would size the overcurrent protection at 125% of the rated current of your transformer secondary.
  3. No. You need to bond the center of your Y to the ground conductor, not just pass the ground conductor straight through.
  4. 4 wires plus the ground.
In addition, there is no such thing as a 240Y/120V electrical system. The vector math doesn't allow it. The transformer catalog looks to have an error as it calls out a delta primary and secondary, but also states there is a 480/277V secondary which would be a Y configuration. The transformer shown would be 240V, three phase delta on the primary and 480Y/277V on the secondary.

Carultch

In addition, there is no such thing as a 240Y/120V electrical system. The vector math doesn't allow it. The transformer catalog looks to have an error as it calls out a delta primary and secondary, but also states there is a 480/277V secondary which would be a Y configuration. The transformer shown would be 240V, three phase delta on the primary and 480Y/277V on the secondary.
It's probably built for either high leg 120/240V delta systems or corner-grounded 240V delta systems.