Yet another large single phase ground mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
Perhaps electrofen will enjoy this one:

Bidding a 44kw array for a high consumption single phase rural property, so I'm going to use five SMA7.7's (SE11kw is problematic apparently).

I see that Sunny Portal's web connect maxes out at 4 inverters for monitoring, what's the solution rather than making two separate systems in their portal? Further, has anyone tried using one cell phone modem with these? Is there a way to cross connect them using the ethernet ports?

I wish 3 phase was available so we could use one TriPower, but that's not an option. Would appreciate anyone's insight on monitoring with these units.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Alright, I'll try and chime in on my own :)

Looks like I'll need to use the SMA data manager device, connect all inverters via ethernet, and then use a cell modem/router in an enclosure to make it all jive. Anyone have any experience with this? We don't usually install SMA products, trying to learn.

Sounds very cool! I did a 25 KW with three 7.7's. would love to see 5 of those lined up.

I don't do the monitoring part, so unfortunately I know very little about it. My system be is about 600 feet away and I haven't gotten Around to getting any monitoring run to the house.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Thanks for the intel. It’s going to be tricky with these large scale single phase arrays, dedicated AC combiner panel feeder tapped off of a 320/400 socket, with a 48kw generator. Our company is small, only two guys — looks like we’re going to need to hire a third if this keeps up.

The data manager module can handle up to 50 devices, I still need to check how their energy meter works with CT’s on a 400A service. Looks like we can feed that off of a cell modem with a router. Lots of little details, and it’s 75 miles from any supplier, better bring two!

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
How about three Fronius single phase inverters? They make them up to 15 kW. Two 11.4's and a 15 will fit in a 200A AC combiner panel and give you the almost the same DC:AC ratio as 5 SMA 7.7's. Also, What is problematic about the SE inverters? Is it because you don't need optimization/rapid shutdown?

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
The fronius inverters aren't California Rule 21 compliant, that's the problem for us. They won't permit issue a permit to operate because it doesn't rapid shutdown within the California spec, I spoke with Fronius directly and they said they have no plans to update them to Rule 21 compliance any time soon.

As it turns out, five SMA 7.7's is also less expensive than three Fronius.

Status
Not open for further replies.