You can't fix stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Went to trim out a new construction job today. Start seeing all kinds of orange expandable foam insulation hanging out from recessed housings, bath exhaust fans, and ceiling outlet boxes. Get to looking and find that the Co. that did the insulation felt it was necessary to spray foam around any opening that was in the attic. The product that they used actually distorted the cylinder Dia of the cans and the square openings of the fans. Some of the fans which should have a 8.5 inch square opening are actually as small as 8.25. Virtually impossible to install the motor asembly which usually fits tight just with the drywallers distortion.The kicker is that the same Co. shot 18" of cellulose in the attic as well. I would surely think that anything under 18" of cover would not need additional insulating with the foam product. Why do most people feel that more is always better!

kwired

Electron manager
They never heard of the low pressure stuff??

If they used same thing around doors and windows they probably effected operation of them also.

Speshulk

Ok, I thought it was just me.

I really hate to stereotype, but I have yet to find a foam insulation contractor that cares one bit about the other trades on the job. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've gone to a house we've wired between the foam and sheetrock stage to see wires that we'd run straight now bent + pulled tight at turns because the foam guys hung from them like they were a ladder or knelt on them in the attic. I've had the same conversation with one guy twice now explaining to him that when he completely fills the area between the housing for a bath fan and the plywood on the roof, that the expansion of the foam pushes the housing out of the ceiling.

stevebea

Went to trim out a new construction job today. Start seeing all kinds of orange expandable foam insulation hanging out from recessed housings, bath exhaust fans, and ceiling outlet boxes. Get to looking and find that the Co. that did the insulation felt it was necessary to spray foam around any opening that was in the attic. The product that they used actually distorted the cylinder Dia of the cans and the square openings of the fans. Some of the fans which should have a 8.5 inch square opening are actually as small as 8.25. Virtually impossible to install the motor asembly which usually fits tight just with the drywallers distortion.The kicker is that the same Co. shot 18" of cellulose in the attic as well. I would surely think that anything under 18" of cover would not need additional insulating with the foam product. Why do most people feel that more is always better!

Maybe they just wanted to give the GC a " good job " and go the extra mile! :lol: Unfortunate for you though. :happysad:

Buck Parrish

Not to hijack the thread but... The supply house had some boxes that had a gray foam insulation built in around the edges of them. They told me I will have to start useing them on all outside walls of homes. They didn't say when, just that "there coming" Any body else heard this?

John120/240

A professional insulation contractor should hire qualified employees, & have some sort of training

program. The insulation boss should explain to his employees the conquences of their actions.

In the abscence of such, it's time to back charge the General Contractor.

Speshulk

Not to hijack the thread but... The supply house had some boxes that had a gray foam insulation built in around the edges of them. They told me I will have to start useing them on all outside walls of homes. They didn't say when, just that "there coming" Any body else heard this?

I love these energy code rules. If we end up having to use boxes like you're talking, it's gonna be a lot of fun to explain to home owners why the cost of wiring a house keeps increasing. If heat leaking around the edge of electrical boxes is such a problem, how much energy do you think is wasted heating outdoor pools? #justsayin

Gac66610

Around here, Topeka, started 2 days ago with the new energy bill. but its not that we have to use those kind of boxes on out side walls and ceilings, the boxes just need to be air tight, still not sure how that will be done, high expansion foam, so we may end up with the same issues as OP

Buck Parrish

Around here, Topeka, started 2 days ago with the new energy bill. but its not that we have to use those kind of boxes on out side walls and ceilings, the boxes just need to be air tight, still not sure how that will be done, high expansion foam, so we may end up with the same issues as OP
PHP:

Yes these are like a resi plastic box. But they have what is shaped kind of like a plaster ring except it is fastened to the plastic box.
It has like a weather stripping on the face of the plaster ring and it is not as wide as a normal plaster ring. The weather stripping is between the sheet rock and the back side of the plaster ring.
So what looks like a plasrter ring is molded on to the box. And is perpendicular to the box. Hope you can picture that.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen some boxes with rubber like flange. Have not seen any with the foam flange. How well does it stand up to rotary cutout tools used by drywallers? Who notices it if it does not stand up? Unless they perform some kind of pressure testing on the whole house.

ritelec

Nutty......................makes sense but Nutty.

I'm a stickler (anal) about having drywall sitting flat against a beam/joist/stud, as in not having the bump out you may get from a nail/kick plate.

So I don't like these vapor/air rings. Think they care? Not.

:D

kwired

Electron manager
Nutty......................makes sense but Nutty.

I'm a stickler (anal) about having drywall sitting flat against a beam/joist/stud, as in not having the bump out you may get from a nail/kick plate.

So I don't like these vapor/air rings. Think they care? Not.

:D

If the thickness of a nail plate bothers you how picky are you with how straight the studs are? It is hard to find ones that don't bow more than thickness of a nail plate.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My daughter does the green building stuff in the KC area. Teaches & inspects.

They do blower door tests at final along with all the other inspections throughout construction. GC hires her company to inspect and test but then doesn't like the answers if something isn't right.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My daughter does the green building stuff in the KC area. Teaches & inspects.

They do blower door tests at final along with all the other inspections throughout construction. GC hires her company to inspect and test but then doesn't like the answers if something isn't right.

He needs to write a bigger check :D
(joking)

renosteinke

We all have our issues with inspections - and the insulation guys are no exception.

Call it another example of seminar training .... inspectors are all focused on the holes we run our wires through and the recesed lights. "Energy codes." Can't have that air leakage!

Step out, visit a few non-electrical forums. Home inspectors', for one. Or, sites like the 'green building advisor.' Yup- look for LEED to make things worse.

Just try telling these folks that we've been down this road before (remember the Carter years?), and the result was the 'mold crisis.' You can't tell these fools that homes need to breathe.

Indeed, visit an HVAC forum, and you'll see some lovely problems arise when homes are too tight; like, say, the bath fan tripping the CO detector, because the furance is now back-drafting. Or the kitchen fan not moving much air, because there's no fresh air coming in.

stevenje

Back in the mid/late 70's we were required to put foam insulating gaskets between the wall and the cover plates, along with the two prong plastic plug-in's to stop any air flow. It was cheap and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.