You gotta be kidding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Had an inspector knock me down for this:

Picture this basement with brick on it sticks up about four feet out of the ground. 1st floor is cantilevered about 2 feet from the basement. The service drop runs down the cantilevered part of the house and then makes a 90 deg. turn to run on the basement wall. the 90 deg. turn is in mid air with a strap on either end. This is the only practical neat way to route the cable. The inspector says the cable has to have continuous contact with the wall/surface. :roll:

bphgravity

Re: You gotta be kidding me.

Probably just protection from physical damage. Goosenecks and installations across floor joists are generally not exposed or readily accessible. Could you possibly sleeve the cable in conduit where it is in free air around the bend?

jes25

I can see your point about the physical damage but that not what he said. I'll fix it anyhow.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Ask him what code section he is using to "knock you down" on this one. If you are going to fix it anyway, it would help you to know what he considers to be a "fix," and why that fix is better than your initial installation.

bill addiss

Jes25,

Be careful not to bend the cable too sharply or you will have another problem.

Bill

jes25

The cable radius on the bend is well within the code requirements. I did not think to ask him the article, The last time I did that the inspector told me(a different inspector) "If you ever want to get out this house I wouldnt make me look up articles" I shook my head and complied. :roll:

This guy said qoute: "SE cable is listed to run on the wall, not in the air" He then told me to have the carpenters make up a 2 by 4, and get another strap on it and he would pass it.At the point in question the straps are not more than 18" apart.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

JES25 does hw have a cousin doing inspections in Tampa florida :D

physis

The idea of an inspector making questionable demands, or one that simply deserves some explanation, and answering questions with threats is pretty tough to deal with. If you're too insistent you make an enemy in a pretty powerful position (and one who's already demonstrated he can be nasty). Doe's anybody have any secret tricks to dealing these guys and also keeping the peace?

jeff43222

It seems to me that you could keep everything close enough to the cantilevered wall and basement by using conduit with an LB fitting. Or am I missing something here?

jap2525

I may be wrong but I think he is dealing with service entrance conductors where he cannot allow access to unmetered power.

jes25

Thats right and anyhow I should be able to do the job however I want as long as its not a violation. Or i guess I did have a violation the violation is the infamous: "Thats not how I woulda done it" :roll:

I hate that one and its not even in the code book. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.