Your opinion (conduit burial or no)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is there any reason OP is not securing it to the underside of the dock?

That walkway looks like it just caps the bulkhead. It's probably all fill to within inches of the bottom of the boards. There's probably no way to work on it from underneath and the supporting joists probably run parallel to the conduit run. On the ground sounds like the easiest way to do it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What does your inspector think about it? Members on here can go back and forth about it, but we aren't the ones inspecting it.

oldsparky52

That walkway looks like it just caps the bulkhead. It's probably all fill to within inches of the bottom of the boards. There's probably no way to work on it from underneath and the supporting joists probably run parallel to the conduit run. On the ground sounds like the easiest way to do it.

You nailed it!

Dirt by now may be up near the bottom of the deck boards. The deck boards are nailed down to 2x6's, and during the remodeling of the docks this winter all the deck boards will be replaced and at that time the electrician will need to install new conduit/wiring to the new docks.

I am of the opinion that we can just lay the PVC on the ground below the deck boards, but I wanted to see what the members here say. I also agree with those that state the conduit only needs to be secured within 3' of the box and just supported everywhere else which the dirt does support it.

If I remember, when this happens (about Jan) I'll let you know what the inspector says.

Status
Not open for further replies.