YURT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im installing a few outlets in a yurt which is a tent like structure its a temp structure used for 6 mos a year and then removed and later rebuilt used for no longer than 6 mos its a business open to the public as a ski wax business my question is since its being torn apart and rebuilt if you think a type of so cord would be more acceptable so as it wouldnt have to be rewired with pipe every year the building is on cinder blocks its about 30 ft in diameter the floor is wood all the walls are unfinished i was looking at using so cord

iwire

Staff member
I don't think that you can use cord as I see no allowance to use article 590 for this.

yurt-wallouter.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I would use sealtite and bell boxes.

Going along with this, if you had quite a few receps to install in each yurt, maybe it'd be worth it to install a central j-box with a terminal strip. Then spider out to each recep with sealtite(or each section of yurt that gets taken apart), it'd use more sealtite than daisy chaining, but I think it'd be easier in the end. When it all gets taken apart all you have to do is remove some sealtite straps and pull all your flexes out of one box and a set of terminals.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have slept (i.e., camping out) in a yurt many times. Oregon State Parks owns quite a few of them, mostly along the coastal road. What you can't see in the photo above is that the vertical strength members inside the yurt are wood. The camping versions are permanent, and I infer that the wiring methods take that into account, but I believe the receptacle (they only had one) was mounted on a vertical wood support. That receptacle allowed the use of an electrical reading (or card playing) table lamp. The units also had wall mounted heaters (a wonderful thing for a camper to enjoy) and an overhead light.

All of this, of course, has nothing to do with the question. :happyno: But it brought back some nice memories. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.