Zinsco breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hello. This was a home warranty trouble call.

I just had an ordeal with an AC condenser circuit. Was on a double pole zinsco breaker. I checked voltage coming in to disconnect. I was getting 120 on each leg (to ground). When I read across I was getting 0. I told them that I would have to "hunt" down a new breaker (aftermarket zinsco might have to be ordered).

The home owner had a second opinion come out. As per home warranty, the second opinion came out, tightened loose connects and now reads 240 across poles again.
This doesn't sound right (The second opinion could have stated "anything" and the rep would have documented it). re tighten loose connects on breaker and now reads 240?!

Just need a "sounding board"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like you were only getting voltage on one pole of the circuit breaker so for some reason (you said loose) you lost a "phase". When you tested it to ground on the bad "phase" it was reading 120 volts through the AC unit fed from the other pole. If the conductors were removed from the CB and then it were tested again you likely would have 0V on one pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.