Where are Tamper Resistant Receptacles Required (Via PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Having to keep track of maybe two or three standard receptacles on a finish is going to be silly. One five minute trip out to the truck to get one is going to blow the minimal savings that standard receptacle may bring.
So you use all WP receptacles as well? ;)

The new WP receptacle requirement is the one that bit me. I totally forgot about it, and the inspector didn't. I don't remember what the price spread was now, when I went in to get the WP receptacles; but I had a thought about using all WP receptacles and GFIs in a house, and the price dissuaded me.

I agree, with TRs it's a no brainer, just install them everywhere and charge accordingly.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Given that many of the injuries that were cited to get this rule into the code, involved burns, I wonder how effective these devices will be in preventing injuires?
The burns suggest the use of two objects. The residential
TR receptacles do not prevent anyone from putting ojects in both of the slots. The older and much more expensive ones did. On those you had to put pressure on both shutters at the exact same time. On the cheap new ones if you hold pressure on one shutter and then apply pressure to the second shutter, both shutters will open.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Given that many of the injuries that were cited to get this rule into the code, involved burns, I wonder how effective these devices will be in preventing injuires?
The burns suggest the use of two objects. The residential
TR receptacles do not prevent anyone from putting ojects in both of the slots. The older and much more expensive ones did. On those you had to put pressure on both shutters at the exact same time. On the cheap new ones if you hold pressure on one shutter and then apply pressure to the second shutter, both shutters will open.

I also have noticed this exact same characteristic on the new TRs.

iaov

I'm sure I have ranted before on this subject so i will be brief. TR receptacles=stupid,stupid,stupid. A pox on the CMP that came up with the requirement.:mad::mad::mad:PS A crawl space is not an outdoor area!!:smile:

gndrod

Tr+gfci= $$$

Tr+gfci= $$$

I'm sure I have ranted before on this subject so i will be brief. TR receptacles=stupid,stupid,stupid. A pox on the CMP that came up with the requirement.:mad::mad::mad:PS A crawl space is not an outdoor area!!:smile:

My exact sentiments. A WP GFCI with a TR feature costs about 21.80 at Big Orange. That compared to an original GFCI cost of $8 is a big hit.

iwire

Staff member
iaov said:
I'm sure I have ranted before on this subject so i will be brief. TR receptacles=stupid,stupid,stupid. A pox on the CMP that came up with the requirement.

My exact sentiments. A WP GFCI with a TR feature costs about 21.80 at Big Orange. That compared to an original GFCI cost of $8 is a big hit.

According to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission data, approximately 2,400 children suffer electrical injuries each year — about seven children every day — from inserting metal objects into electrical outlets.
(BTW that is the number reported by Hospital ERs, that does not count the ones that just forget about it)

Yeah, the NEC would be better off ignoring something like this, I mean what is the purpose of the NEC anyway ...... :roll:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
It's a good point. I remember on the MH DVDs Ryan Jackson telling about how he was against the TR receps until he saw the numbers.

I just hope if the world is or ever is cursed with Iaov children :D the receps around them are TR.

iwire

Staff member
It's a good point. I remember on the MH DVDs Ryan Jackson telling about how he was against the TR receps until he saw the numbers.

I was complaining about the TRs and how stupid the new rule was and then Ryan suggested I read the substantiation. It did change my mind.

The numbers from the US where also compared to the numbers from Canada and they where very similar.

Even if we say the number has been exaggerated by a factor of two that still is 3 or 4 kids a day going to the ER specifically for injuries caused by electrical receptacles.

kbsparky

When I was a kid, I learned the "hard way" when it came to fooling around with things in outlets. :roll:

I was playing with a lamp cord, inserting and removing the plug from the outlet again and again.

Once, I managed to get my finger stuck between the plug and the outlet (across the prongs), and "felt" for the first time what electricity could do. :confused:

While I did not sustain serious or permanent injuries from that incident, it should be noted that if it had been a TR device, it would not have made any difference in my case. I still would have been able to insert and remove that cord, and still would have gotten shocked.

e57

I have yet to even see a TR recept. - and will agree (CA is still '05)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
I was complaining about the TRs and how stupid the new rule was and then Ryan suggested I read the substantiation. It did change my mind.

The numbers from the US where also compared to the numbers from Canada and they where very similar.

Even if we say the number has been exaggerated by a factor of two that still is 3 or 4 kids a day going to the ER specifically for injuries caused by electrical receptacles.

It's hard to look through those numbers and still say TRs are not worth the money when you have a little man of your own puttering around the house...

peter d

The residential

So what you're saying is a product with good intentions is the victim of economics.

iaov

I just hope if the world is or ever is cursed with Iaov children :D the receps around them are TR.
The world is already cursed with my children and they have children of thier own. I taught my children to keep their hands out of receptacles. They did. They are now reproducing in spite of a lack of TR receptacles!!

iwire

Staff member
The world is already cursed with my children and they have children of thier own. I taught my children to keep their hands out of receptacles. They did. They are now reproducing in spite of a lack of TR receptacles!!

Which means absolutely nothing at all.

Using that logic no one needs to use seat belts because my kids have never been in a car accident and needed safety belts.

We used to have live front switch gear but now we don't, we get smarter as time goes on. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.