Where are Tamper Resistant Receptacles Required (Via PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

I bought some TRs the other day and wasn't horrified at the prices. Think they were $1.40 per.

Considering my state is still under the '05 and TRs aren't in huge demand I wasn't too unhappy with the price. I believe they will come down more...

A year or so and hopefully they will be $0.70 again! :smile:

Of course by then we will all be bitching about the up coming screwed-up rules in the '11 NEC :D:D
By me the decora price is 1$ more for tr not rocket science for the average electrician. Charge acordingly end of story.

cschmid

wow if we don't like the rules then we have the ability to submit proposals.. I feel it is like voting, you do not vote you do not get to whin.. remember the people who propose these rules are just like you and me.. Yet does it give the manufacturer the right to over charge the public even if it is only for a few years. the manufacturer is stealing from the public no reason for the extra Price of receptacles. I do not think it is the receptacle that bother us it is the price we are being charged.

Outlet REPLACEMENTS in dwellings TR or standard ??

Outlet REPLACEMENTS in dwellings TR or standard ??

My state has not adopted the 2008 NEC, but it will be soon. My AHJ has informed me that TR outlets will NOT be required for replacements in existing dwelling. Please reply with comments.

summitcbo

406.11 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units. Our local division of IAEI were discussing this section last week. Obviously not all were in agreement. As I view the literal wording of the text, "in" dwellings would not include: attached garages, detached accessory buildings or outdoor locations. If the Code making panel intended to include all locations of a dwelling unit, it could have been simply stated so in 406.11, possibly without any reference to 210.52. Just another opinion.

pfalcon

My question about TR receptacles is whether there is any data to support that they even work. Will the injury rate actually change or will we just feel better because we did something?

Numerous experiments have been done with "Child-resistant" caps and packaging. Apparently the ideal age to open these easily is about 6 years old. EPIC FAILURE!

We won't know for several years if TR receptacles really help. And by then they will be ingrained in the code too deep to remove.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I think TR's should be optional at the HO's discretion. I don't think there are too many babies crawling around in assisted living centers or retirement communities. I'm all for safety but we can't legislate or re-write statutes because there are irresponsible parents out there. Kids that may stick something in a receptacle should not be left alone!

dbuckley

Numerous experiments have been done with "Child-resistant" caps and packaging. Apparently the ideal age to open these easily is about 6 years old. EPIC FAILURE!

If the USA TRs are as well designed as the current UK TRs then a six year old wont get into them. You need as pair of screwdrivers placed just right and a balanced pressure on both screwdrivers, its quite hard.

PetrosA

In Europe the prong design is such that only about 1/4" or so at the tip is exposed metal, reducing the possibility that a kid could burn their fingers between them when plugged in halfway (by the time the metal makes contact it's no longer accessible). Our prongs would be difficult to protect in that way.

My daughter just turned one. She's close to figuring out how to open the child proofed cabinets, has picked at the plastic protectors in receptacles, and likes to play with wires (both in her hands and in her mouth). I will design a demonstration for her using a lamp cord with one exposed strand from the hot and neutral to show the arc of a short which - hopefully - will teach her that electricity is dangerous. That having been said, kids put every ounce of their energy into trying to understand the world around them and we will never be able to make a completely safe environment for them. That's why they're called tamper "resistant" and not tamper "proof"...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will design a demonstration for her using a lamp cord with one exposed strand from the hot and neutral to show the arc of a short which - hopefully - will teach her that electricity is dangerous.
Unless she says "Daddy, do it again!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.