Grid cielings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you guys support your conduit on top of black iron that supports grid cielings? Is this allowed? I know in NY it is done all the time. Even straping to the pencil rod that is supporting the black iron.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you guys support your conduit on top of black iron that supports grid cielings? Is this allowed? I know in NY it is done all the time. Even straping to the pencil rod that is supporting the black iron.

If you mean the metal framing members, sure it is, if you use straps listed for the application. I know Caddy makes them for the support wires too. They work pretty good since you do not have to make alot of bends. Check with AHJ on the wire supports, just in case.

dcspector

I personally have no idea what you are talking about. Around here the steel is primed with a rusty red color and what is a pencil rod? I must have been dropped off the electrician slang talk wagon years ago.

I quess you have to be a northern electrician to understand the lingo. In New York thats what it is called

It is a rod that that they hang down from the cieling then they attach black iron to it and connect a clip that attaches to the cieling grid.

ultramegabob

is black iron the structure? bar joist? purlins?, what is a pencil rod? part of a bar joist? threaded rod? support wire? dont have a clue what your asking, sorry....

480sparky

It is a rod that that they hang down from the cieling then they attach black iron to it and connect a clip that attaches to the cieling grid.

A rod, as in all-thread?

all_thread_rod1.jpg

Or suspension wire?
ACE_Projects_InstallSuspend14.jpg

iMuse97

I give up. This is a tough place agreed. Spelling no biggy but what the hell is a "pencil rod" there yankee boy?

With DC, I sure am intrestd in wht yur speaking of. I'm gonna need a pic. if you've got it. BTW, around here, if its supporting something else, we will not support our conduit on it. But I still can't picture what you've got there. I'm gonna google it after I order some materials.

mcclary's electrical

Most of my local inspectors here make me support it INDEPENDANTLY from the ceiling supports,,,or any other supports. ESPECIALLY stay off ceiling supports. Lay in fixtures must be supported by tye wire and it cannot be going to the same anchor point of the ceiling

dcspector

Most of my local inspectors here make me support it INDEPENDANTLY from the ceiling supports,,,or any other supports. ESPECIALLY stay off ceiling supports. Lay in fixtures must be supported by tye wire and it cannot be going to the same anchor point of the ceiling

I work DC, Md, Va......code section? besides 410.16(C) We are a category B seismic.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pencil rod is piece of 5/16 rod that is used to support 1.5" or 2" Lather's channel or "black iron". It's no longer black.

Here's a photo of the "black iron". The pencil rod would be shot into the structural deck above and attached to the iron with Caddy clips. Both can be used to support conduit, boxes, cables etc.

Rob%27s%20Work%20044.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.