Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-dub

We are doing a gas station- the dispensing portion. Do the conduits coming up out of the ground at the wireway--on the exterior of the building require bonding bushings? If so-- can we use a listed ground clamp on the conduits outside the wireway and terminate that bonding wire on the ground buss in the trough?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Chris. Classified Location is a weak area of mine. I have had the same question as the OP and as I read the reference (501.3) my opinion is that bonding locknuts/bushing would be needed. However, I NEVER see that on installations I have observed. Am I overlooking a loophole ?

raider1

Staff member
Chris. Classified Location is a weak area of mine. I have had the same question as the OP and as I read the reference (501.3) my opinion is that bonding locknuts/bushing would be needed. However, I NEVER see that on installations I have observed. Am I overlooking a loophole ?

You are correct, bonding bushings or locknuts are needed on the conduits in Class 1 locations in accordance with 501.30.

Classified locations are one of the areas a lot of people (myself included) are weak. I believe that is the reason you don't see the proper bonding in motor fuel dispensing facilities.

Chris

j-dub

bonding

bonding

I have read N.E.C. 501.30 and it states that the locknuts are not to be depended on for bonding--R.E. 250.100 and 250.32b, 259.92b 2-4. This shows fittings that are approved\listed for bonding. I myself have never seen this application carried out either--thus the question origin. I personally thought the seal off ended the clasified area at the building. My other question was if it does have to be bonded --is external clamps as shown in exhibit 250.32 acceptable installed as a bonding jumper externally mtd. and of course terminated in the wireway ground bar.

raider1

Staff member
The bonding requirements of 501.30 are required to followed all the way back to the service equipmnet or the point of grounding of a separately derived system.

I believe that external bonding jumpers using listed clamps and fittings would be acceptable.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.