Do you need a bonding grid around a hot tub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually NJ has a few exceptions in the 2008 NEC adoption.
I know Rob, but I didn't want to go into all that and deviate from the focus of this thread. I was merely pointing out that our DCA does make some exceptions to certain code sections.

dcspector

which brings us full circle :smile: the Code reference for "absolutely not" is ????

Gus this goes back to the common sense thing you and Scott were talking about....Let's just shoot from the hip I reckon. let's quit playing games with each other and simply shoot straight. Either we have an answer or we don't.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
which brings us full circle :smile: the Code reference for "absolutely not" is ????
Gus, Please send me a PM next time you do a spa tub on an elevated deck. I'd give a week's pay just to come down to Tenn. and watch you staple a bonding grid under a deck;)

I don't have a code section to cite but I know wood is not considered a conductive material (wet or not) and as such is not required to be bonded. Do wooden boat slips in a marina need an EPBG ? If so, where do you terminate it ?

Getting back to the OP, if this spa tub is sitting directly on soil or grass with no specific walkway installed, a bonding grid is not required. If a paver system or concrete is installed under or around the tub you will need a bonding grid. If wooden decking is installed around the outside of the tub a bonding grid is not required.

Someone please prove me wrong:smile:

iwire

Staff member
Getting back to the OP, if this spa tub is sitting directly on soil or grass with no specific walkway installed, a bonding grid is not required.

The perimeter surface shall extend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces as well as poured concrete and other types of paving.

Grass sure sounds like an unpaved surface to me.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think that's the point. 680.42 & 680.26 , taken literally, prove you wrong.
I don't and would not require bonding to the wood or under the wood. I know some inspectors that requires a bond grid in the unpaved surface under a wood deck... I have no doubt that some require a bond to the deck (based on the "wet wood' theory)...
I'm simply of the opinion that to not require it is, IMHO common sense, but not Code.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Grass sure sounds like an unpaved surface to me.
OK. I'll buy into this. If you had a job to install this spa tub are you telling me that you would either lay the grid on the ground or take a sod shovel, lift up a layer of sod, install the grid under it and re-lay the sod ? You can't be serious about this can you:confused:

iwire

Staff member
OK. I'll buy into this. If you had a job to install this spa tub are you telling me that you would either lay the grid on the ground or take a sod shovel, lift up a layer of sod, install the grid under it and re-lay the sod ? You can't be serious about this can you:confused:

It's required, there is no choice.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Believe me, I'm all for being code compliant but I think I'd have a hard sell telling a customer that I have to dig up her sod, go down at least 4-6" (680.26 (B)(2)(b)(5) to install an EPBG and re-lay her sod. That's probably the part where they would say - forget it, I'll put down pavers or pour concrete. Then we have a moot point:smile:

I can't think of a time when I've had more fun with such a ridiculous topic. Maybe we can filter this one to Mike Holt for his 2 cents worth:grin:

mpd

I am trying to figure out how could you even make a wooden deck an equipotential surface? with a #8, 4 to 6" under a wooden deck

mpd

Believe me, I'm all for being code compliant but I think I'd have a hard sell telling a customer that I have to dig up her sod, go down at least 4-6" (680.26 (B)(2)(b)(5) to install an EPBG and re-lay her sod. That's probably the part where they would say - forget it, I'll put down pavers or pour concrete. Then we have a moot point:smile::

what would you tell them if they wanted to put a hot tub on existing concrete deck?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't see where a hot tub is required to have a bonding grid. Spa's and hot tubs shall comply with the provision of part I and part IV. The requirements for equipotential bonding are in part II.

mpd

I don't see where a hot tub is required to have a bonding grid. Spa's and hot tubs shall comply with the provision of part I and part IV. The requirements for equipotential bonding are in part II.

2008 NEC680.42 says part 1 & 2

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it me or is this equipotential bond requirement a problem with every code cycle. It seems that it's been re-written at least three time in the past three code cycles and it still is horrible. Can't it just say "under concrete, blacktop, paver's, wood, grass or like surfaces" if that's what they really mean. I agree with Goldstar if the deck is elevated what good will an EBG actually do in the ground?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OK, I don't do a lot of pools, actually I don't do any. So you have to bury a #8, 18"-24" from the inside wall, 4"-6" deep, following the contour of the hot tub and that's it? doesn't attach to the hot tub?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK, I don't do a lot of pools, actually I don't do any. So you have to bury a #8, 18"-24" from the inside wall, 4"-6" deep, following the contour of the hot tub and that's it? doesn't attach to the hot tub?
No it attaches to the motor of the tub and any other metal parts. Like a pool it keeps everything at the same potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.