Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I would use a bushing anyway

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I always install it this way

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are more reasons for the need of a bushing with PVC than first meets the eye. Take for instance the temperature rating of the PVC itself, it is not rated as high as some would think.

From Carlon's website.

" Does Carlon manufacture 105 C schedule 40 PVC?
We do not."

Take a look at this picture. You will see that the installation of the conductors has burned through the fitting. The bushings have a higher temperature, which reduces the damage that may be caused by just such an installation.
We all know just how sharp some of the 'burn-thru' situations just like the picture shows, can be. Hence the CMP has decided that bushings for PVC installations are a requirement.

Bushing-cableburn1.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Take a look at this picture. You will see that the installation of the conductors has burned through the fitting. The bushings have a higher temperature, which reduces the damage that may be caused by just such an installation.

We all know just how sharp some of the 'burn-thru' situations just like the picture shows, can be. Hence the CMP has decided that bushings for PVC installations are a requirement.

Bushing-cableburn1.jpg

The fitting in the picture is not required to have a bushing, it is designed to be used just as shown.

Here is one in 1/2" size, you place it throuh the KO and attach a coupling to the other side.

034481062653md.jpg

LJSMITH1

RB1

The reference to 300.4(G) in 314.17 applies to all conductors entering boxes including cables. 408.2 makes this requirement applicable to panelboards. The jacket of the SE cable is not a substantial insulating material. It is at best a covering.

electricmanscott

The reference to 300.4(G) in 314.17 applies to all conductors entering boxes including cables. 408.2 makes this requirement applicable to panelboards. The jacket of the SE cable is not a substantial insulating material. It is at best a covering.

Se cable is not a raceway.

M. D.

Not that I can see ,...

"Where raceways contain4 AWG....... and these conductors enter .... "

Which conductors? Those in a raceway...

M. D.

Pierre ,..Have you answered the question ,.. "does this fitting require a bushing?? ,.. yet ,.. I may have missed it .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No kiddin and the answer is no for Se Connector and yes for PVC
Yes for PVC when using the standard connector not for the one in Pierre's picture. That is standard MO around here. They are esp. nice in boxes where you have big wires and need to bend them. You gain a little more that an inch with these slip fitting-- (my name for them)

dcspector

Yes for PVC when using the standard connector not for the one in Pierre's picture. That is standard MO around here. They are esp. nice in boxes where you have big wires and need to bend them. You gain a little more that an inch with these slip fitting-- (my name for them)

Dennis I had two answers and was not allowed to edit. I was on the phone here in the office and forgot to hit save.....No for SE connecter and yes for PVC....352.46 around here they use the bell at floor below open bottom equipment. We are on the same page.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code needs to be changed to either require a bushing for #4 or larger conductors or require that the sheath be inserted past the inside end of the cable connector. The potential for damage with a cable connector and an EMT connector is identical. If one needs protection they both do.

Status
Not open for further replies.