Hole to big??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole

Hello guys and gals.

Do you guys know of a way to use handy box in a commercial rework application?

For some reason I cut hole in drywall the size of handy box. Now the hole is too big for f straps and rework box.

I hate when I do stuff like this. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

jcole

Just about the only reason to use a handy box is to hold screws or wirenuts while working so they do not get lost.

I asked my coworker to get deep metal rework device box and madison straps at the supply house. He got the madison straps right. I wasnt paying attention and told him to start cutting holes out for the boxes. When I seen the first hole I new right away it was to big.

Rewire

I did this once but i don't know if it will work for you .after getting the wire into the box I used expanding foam to secure the box I may have just been lucky but it worked.

480sparky

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcDvcLvlrRetnr.asp

1409.jpg

marti smith

Hate to admit it, but I did that once. That's all it takes. What I did was take some short pieces of 2x2 and place them on the inside of the wall, as your handybox yokes go on the outside, and screw the box from the outside of the wall to these 2x2's. The box should then be snug. If you need to use the Madison's also, you may need to slice/notch the 2x2's before placing. Hard to say w/o seeing. Hope that helps.

PCN

Depending on the situation you can take a two gang old work box and straddle the old oversized hole when you cut it in. Of couse that means now they will have two recepts or a switch and recept.

Not always going to work but it is another option.

roy g

roy g

roy g

I have taken furing strips or 2x4 block ripped down to the correct depth and used paneling adhesive to glue to the wall in back of where the box goes, and than after setting up, fasten the box to the wood. Never thought of using foam, but maby a combination would make a secure box. Bet your hepler never makes that mistake again.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's funny this subject came up today, yesterday my apprentise was cutting a hole for a MP-1, and traced out the OUTSIDE and cut about 1/2" outside that! He came to me sheepishly and said he screwed up and how could he fix it. Luckily it was behind a cabinet for a TV, so I was able to use a jumbo plate and let it pull the MP-1 tight to the sheetrock. Could have been worse though, it was in the office of the president of a large general contractor we do millions of dollars of work for!

hardworkingstiff

It's funny this subject came up today, yesterday my apprentise was cutting a hole for a MP-1, and traced out the OUTSIDE and cut about 1/2" outside that! He came to me sheepishly and said he screwed up and how could he fix it. Luckily it was behind a cabinet for a TV, so I was able to use a jumbo plate and let it pull the MP-1 tight to the sheetrock. Could have been worse though, it was in the office of the president of a large general contractor we do millions of dollars of work for!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a MP-1?

You could make it two gang and use the RACO Retro-Ring with a standard 4" square box.

And speaking of handy boxes, why would one use them when a 4" box is cheaper and gives more room?

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician

How did you patch the hole so that the gap was no larger than the 1/8" the code allows?

Status
Not open for further replies.