Hole to big??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Does it matter who done it?

Naw but it's just funny, we have a guy thats been laid off for about 3 month's and he is still getting the blame for bad makups of houses done just a month ago LOL I just look at the guys and say yea right.:roll:

I have done this getting in a hurry, was able to find a handy box with a L bracket on it's side and just ran screws through the driwall in to it, held just fine, kind of like the expanding foam idea.:D

expasion foam

expasion foam

I have used foam to hold in octagon boxes (cut in with a core drill in block)
And though a really dont like it,,,,,,,,,this method has proven very reliable in supporting very heavy wall paks.

360Youth

I have no idea how many times I would cut the hole for the old style Carlon boxes backwards because when I held the face of the box on the wall and trace it, I would forget to reverse the wing location. :roll::mad::D

big john

I once had to cut in a whole bunch of horn/strobes that wouldn't fit into old work boxes. I ended up unscrewing the little metal ears from the top and bottom of the O/W box, and using small sheet-metal screws to attach them to deep 4" square boxes (a couple passes with a file takes off the sharp screw tip). Makes a full-size cut-in box. Not 100% compliant, but it worked well in a pinch.

-John

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you guys know of a way to use handy box in a commercial rework application?

For some reason I cut hole in drywall the size of handy box. Now the hole is too big for f straps and rework box.
Are you sure you're talking about a handy box? The one that's half of a 4" sq.?

All the handy boxes I remember are smaller than a single-gang everything else.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How many conductors are permitted in a handy box, including a device???;)
I dunno, but I use them when I do fire-suppression systems. They're good for terminating the gas-valve wires, and I use them for micro-switch connections when I only need one micro.

I also use them for in-cabinet devices, like switches or receptacles under the sink, or for an over-the-range microwave receptacle, where I prefer using the gray Carlon handy and plates.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hello guys and gals.

Do you guys know of a way to use handy box in a commercial rework application?

For some reason I cut hole in drywall the size of handy box. Now the hole is too big for f straps and rework box.

I hate when I do stuff like this. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

OOPS , blame it on the drywaller.

Last edited:

hurk27

Larry
I was being facetious when I made that comment.
There is not much room at all for wiring when using handy boxes.

We must call handy box's different names across the country, the ones we call handy box is a full 2"x4" and can be any where from 3/4" to 21/2" deep, and since the screw holes are bent inside of the box, even a GFCI receptacle will fit into one with a pipe into any KO, now try that with a gang-able Gem/Jewl box.

Heres what we call a handy box:
RACO 660
4A238.JPG

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
We must call handy box's different names across the country, the ones we call handy box is a full 2"x4" and can be any where from 3/4" to 21/2" deep, and since the screw holes are bent inside of the box, even a GFCI receptacle will fit into one with a pipe into any KO, now try that with a gang-able Gem/Jewl box.

Heres what we call a handy box:
RACO 660
4A238.JPG
Those guys work for me on occasion. I haven't decided if I really like the ground screw stand-off on some brands. I sorta go used to drilling a hole for the screw.

hurk27

I just remembered I have used a 2" deep handy box, with a 2" deep extension, then used F-straps to secure it in, worked like a charm, you have 4" from the face of the drywall to the back wall, if not just get the right combination to fit and use F-straps, it cant go any farther back and the F-straps wont let it come out.

another option would be to screw a 2"deep block of wood to the back of the box, so it can only go into the hole till flush then as above use F-straps.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, a handy box might be a tad taller than a metal old-work box, but certainly not a plastic one. Plus, they still make gangable metal boxes with the side-mounted screw-and-clip kind of drywall clamps:

old_work_mtl.jpg

480sparky

Okay, a handy box might be a tad taller than a metal old-work box, but certainly not a plastic one. Plus, they still make gangable metal boxes with the side-mounted screw-and-clip kind of drywall clamps:

old_work_mtl.jpg

But make note of the fact that the 6/32 holes for the device is on the outside of that box, while the holes in a handibox are on the inside. The ears of this box still may not even touch the drywall.

hurk27

I hated those little GEM boxes, had to trim behind the ruff crews that used these and they would gang them then the HO would bring fan/light controls and dimmers.:roll:

Now 4 gain is the limit, plastic for romex, and masonry for pipe. cover plates shoot through the roof in price when over 4-gang. we just stack them if more is needed. and when they use GEM box's for pipe, you can not get a GFCI in one if the pipe is in the sides, in that case it gets a Wire-Mold extention box.:D

quogueelectric

Does the box HAVE to be metal ? I love the Smart boxes /Arlington one boxes but you have to locate the stud prior to cutting which takes an extra minute...............There is never enough time to do it right but there is ALLWAYS enough time to do it twice!!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But make note of the fact that the 6/32 holes for the device is on the outside of that box, while the holes in a handibox are on the inside. The ears of this box still may not even touch the drywall.
Bend the ears away from the box, then bend the face of the ears back in line with the front of the box.

You can also try a plastic old-work box, which is definitely taller than a handy box, and a standard plate still covers the ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.