nm cable panelboard entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still confused. If I have a flush mounted panel, is it not acceptable to use a 2" chase nipple with plastic bushing in the TOP of the box and bring all my home runs as long as my cable is secured within 12" of the box? What about the sides or back I rerly see them done other ways but her this arguement from time to time

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am still confused. If I have a flush mounted panel, is it not acceptable to use a 2" chase nipple with plastic bushing in the TOP of the box and bring all my home runs as long as my cable is secured within 12" of the box? What about the sides or back I rerly see them done other ways but her this arguement from time to time
Todd,
The use of a chase nipple with a bushing to bring the NMs into the panel enclosure is a violation of 312.5(C).

nm cable panelboard entry

I understand what that article says. However what applies to say like an exterior panel and 99% of the panels iI have seen have many cables coming through c chase nipple or similar. I have also seen interior where they used a 2" male adapter, now that i can see why doesn't fly . I have seen so many wired with the 2" chase nipple and secured within 12" there must be something else in the code. that allows this.

This is AHJ

This is AHJ

One of the other posters here has stated his area permits such installations. I believe he is from the southwest of the country.
The NEC does not have stipulations that would permit this type of installation.

AHJ has always been my Guy / Gal
New work: they want to see correct installation, as per the book
Remodel work: approved method ( their minds eye)
Many sub panels have been outside, surface mounted, with access from the back only>> 2ea 1 1/4 nipps stapled correctly, carry all new nm's

Keep it clean, lookin tight >>> thumbs up!!!!! Until you get inspector #1

ive been taught wrong i guess and been doing it "wrong" for 30 years and i have rarely seen it done the "right" in my opinion the "right" way looks sloppy and i am not sure how it would be done on an exterior panel. i just dont understand how somthing like this could be overlooked @ least state wide and then this new inspector tells us we got it wrong. so that is why it is difficult to do it the "right way"

quogueelectric

ive been taught wrong i guess and been doing it "wrong" for 30 years and i have rarely seen it done the "right" in my opinion the "right" way looks sloppy and i am not sure how it would be done on an exterior panel. i just dont understand how somthing like this could be overlooked @ least state wide and then this new inspector tells us we got it wrong. so that is why it is difficult to do it the "right way"

Well you are on your way to learning the right way by being on this site. Everyone may seem a little over critical at times but there are a lot of sharp guys on this forum to learn from oh and one dumb cow too. I didnt mean to be so critical because of your response obviously you do care to do the right job. I was just ranting at the other 90% who will try to justify the wrong way that kills me. An opening in the top of a live panel is just so wrong in my opinion.

you say the top what about the sides and back .

i still don't see why the "wrong "way is so widely accepted and have never seen a surface mounted panel that was not feeding the house through a single hole in the back of the panel.

quogueelectric

you say the top what about the sides and back .

i still don't see why the "wrong "way is so widely accepted and have never seen a surface mounted panel that was not feeding the house through a single hole in the back of the panel.

Why not the bottom? You will waste 5' of cable per hr. Here on LI I have never in 30-35+ years seen what you are talking about installed. Almost all meters mounted on outside of house and panel inside within 5 feet+ or- All with nm connectors set screw or atomic in topof panel. What you are talking about would never fly here.

oh well i am not gonna get a good answer here. I think I need to make a submission to the NFPA FOR ANOTHER EXCEPTION on this since pretty much 99% of the state of TEXAS'S houses are 'WRONG"

iwire

Staff member
oh well i am not gonna get a good answer here.

Hmm, what is a 'good answer' should we have lied to you and said the NEC allows this?:confused:

As close as the NEC gets is allowing pipe nipples with surface mounted panels to hold a large number of NMs with a bunch of restrictions.

You could of course have a local amendment but more likely it is just an issue that the inspectors have chosen to ignore.

I think I need to make a submission to the NFPA FOR ANOTHER EXCEPTION on this since pretty much 99% of the state of TEXAS'S houses are 'WRONG"

I will bet that it will not pass.

brian john

There are electricians that will make the PROPER installation look like art work, others will make it passable and yet others will make an installation that is workable but scary looking.

There are rules laid out in the NEC, and no matter what someone told you, showed you, taught you, and EVEN if the local inspectors allow it the NEC sets the rules. If you ara accepts the NEC and unless there are local changes in the NEC, you IMO should abide by the NEC.

Now the AHJ can look the other way, make his own field rules and allow what he wants, this happens all the time.

daleuger

There are electricians that will make the PROPER installation look like art work, others will make it passable and yet others will make an installation that is workable but scary looking.

I've opened up more panels that looked like the very latter than either of the other two.

ichimo23

Would just like a clarification about what we are discussing here. Is it only a violation of 312.5 to use the chase nipple/bushing set up if it's a FLUSH mount panel? eg. would be OK for a surface mount panel? I realize the cables must be secured with listed fittings, but can also be 'sleeved' on surface mount installations. I am in the Southwest, and have seen the non-compliant installation we are discussing on many occasions. For flush mount installations with NM cable, we usually use the 1" or 1.5" KOs on the top of the can with the appropriate size plastic KO bushing (with the NM stapled within 1' of the panel). Is this legal per 312.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.