Unfused Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is about the Service Entrance Conductors into the building. Were in the NEC does it mandate that the Service Entrance conduit is to be encased in 2" of concrete. I have abided by Article 230.43.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It doesn't say that as a blanket statement but, you may be looking for 230.6 if it applies to your situation.

Roger

Unfused Conductors

I would think 230.6 is acknowledging that if the conduits are under 2" of concrete it would be an outside conductor, not that the conduit has to be under the 2" of concrete. I have installed the Service Disconnecting Means right inside the outer door, covering 230.70(A) (1).

That is why I am not understanding where the issue to encase the Service Entrance Conduits is comming from.

raider1

Staff member
I would think 230.6 is acknowledging that if the conduits are under 2" of concrete it would be an outside conductor, not that the conduit has to be under the 2" of concrete.

That is correct, if the service entrance conduits are installed under 2" of concrete then they are considered outside of the building.

That is why I am not understanding where the issue to encase the Service Entrance Conduits is coming from.

What issue are you referring too?

Chris

SG-1

The circumstance is when the service entrance conductors enter a structure and the service entrance equipment is some distance, say 20 ft away. The service entrance conductors would then have to be encased in 2 in of concrete or masonry between the entry point and the equipment.

Steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The general idea is that the service entrance conductors must be limited in length when they are run on the inside of the building. On the outside of the building they can be of unlimited length. When encasing them in 2" of concrete within the building the NEC considers them to be "outside" of the building so their length can be unlimited.

hillbilly

I've never seen Service Conductors encased in concrete inside a building.:)

I have run them under a house, and because I couldn't trench deep enough, I encased them...(actually the conduit that they were in) under 2" of concrete.
So that they would be considered outside.

I would never do that on a new installation.
It's easier to set the Main outside and run a Feeder.
To the OP....Read 230.6 (2005)

Just my opinion
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.