Compact fluorescent in clothes closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarroll

Only if it has a completely enclosed lamp. The idea is to not be able to change out the CFL to an incand. lamp. Besides, with #2, the fixture itself has to be a flourescent type.

SEO

I agree with iwire. If the compact fluorescent went bad who's to say that a standard incandescent lamp wouldn't be installed.

iwire

Staff member
If the compact fluorescent went bad who's to say that a standard incandescent lamp wouldn't be installed.

Very true.

I would add that the NEC section specifies a fluorescent luminaire it makes no mention of a fluorescent lamp.

Look to the UL listing tag to see what kind of 'luminaire' it is. :)

Jim W in Tampa

Very true.

I would add that the NEC section specifies a fluorescent luminaire it makes no mention of a fluorescent lamp.

Is it not a fluorecent luminaire if it has a flor. lamp in it ? Is that shell limited to use ? We might be at another one of then WHAT IF situations. If it has the right lamp now then why tag it based on what could happen ?

Cavie

I agree with iwire. If the compact fluorescent went bad who's to say that a standard incandescent lamp wouldn't be installed.

I had issues with this problem with shower lights. They make an open shower trim listed for wet locations with a special coated bulb installed.
I said what's to stop the HO from installing a standard incandescent lamp. My AHJ said they were listed and leagle.

iwire

Staff member
I had issues with this problem with shower lights. They make an open shower trim listed for wet locations with a special coated bulb installed.
I said what's to stop the HO from installing a standard incandescent lamp. My AHJ said they were listed and legal.

Inspect for whats there now, not what may happen in the future. :)

Inspecting for what might happen in the future would be like a cop handing out speeding tickets to people who own sports cars because they might speed in the future.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Inspecting for what might happen in the future would be like a cop handing out speeding tickets to people who own sports cars because they might speed in the future.
You say that like cops aren't supposed to do that. ;)

raider1

Staff member
Is it not a fluorecent luminaire if it has a flor. lamp in it ? Is that shell limited to use ? We might be at another one of then WHAT IF situations. If it has the right lamp now then why tag it based on what could happen ?

The can would be listed as an incandescent luminaire. Placing a compact flourescent bulb into a listed incandescent luminaire does not change the listing of the luminaire.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I said what's to stop the HO from installing a standard incandescent lamp. My AHJ said they were listed and leagle.

I agree with the AHJ.

This is no different then if a homeowner chooses to install the wrong wattage incandescent bulb in a luminaire when the original bulb burns out.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member

The reason the NEC changed the word "fixture" to "luminaire" is that a lumiaire is the fixture including the bulb. An incandesent fixture with a fluorecent bulb in it, is still and incandesent fixture. So I would not allow it in a closet unless it met all of the requirements.

Put lipstick on a pig............

Last edited:
Very true.

Sometimes it is difficult to separate in our minds what is written and what we read.
As Bob has mentioned, it specifically states luminaire, not lamp type.

A CFL may be permitted in the incandescent type fixture if there is a lense.
But....be careful about installing CFL in a totally enclosed fixture. There may be heat issues and fire issues. Check out the listing of both the luminaire and the lamp to make sure it is a suitable installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.