vanity light height??

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

Usually, when I'm roughing a house, the HO has absolutely NO IDEA what they're going to have un the bathrooms.

So I just make several loops, one in each stub cavity, and that covers me.

Rough-in:

DSC04439a.jpg

Six months later, the HO decides she wants a light on each side of the mirror.

DSC04972a.jpg

I could have put a single light over the mirror, or added a 3rd light there, heck I could put in 6-8 lights should that what is requested.

I kinda like the idea, however what do you do if the homeowner decides the light goes right were the plumbing stack is?...From experience its not a good feeling when you pull out the hole saw and the starter bit is poking the stack..and the second scenario it what if you cut 2 or more lights in and more than one falls on a stud?

PCN

I kinda like the idea, however what do you do if the homeowner decides the light goes right were the plumbing stack is?...From experience its not a good feeling when you pull out the hole saw and the starter bit is poking the stack..and the second scenario it what if you cut 2 or more lights in and more than one falls on a stud?

I'll bet that's why he has a picture of this installation. He can look at the photo before he drills.

Just a guess :-?, I'm thinking this ain't his first rodeo :grin:

r6ckstar

I always do like 480, but in addition if the vent goes straight up the center just throw up a 2-by at the height aff, that way you can screw your pancake to it, just make sure to staple a loop to it as well.

Power Tech

If I hit a stud or joist, I keep drilling with hole saw to the depth of the box. Drill some holes in the box, and use the stud for backing. I keep a hole saw for 3-0 and 4-0 boxes.

If you hit a vent, see post 10.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rocky, welcome to the forum! :)

. . . if the vent goes straight up the center just throw up a 2-by at the height aff, that way you can screw your pancake to it, just make sure to staple a loop to it as well.
Check out my post and pix at the bottom of page 1.

480sparky

Why is it there overfilling your box anyway? :confused:

It's a branch circuit that feeds the bedroom above the bath. THe stupid plumbers cut it, and at this point in construction, the home run could net be replaced.

So..... into the nearest box it goes to get spliced, and a new 20' 14/2 is run upstairs.

Stacks? Well, the HO gets told they're SOL. Studs? Pancake boxes.

Poor Sparky, just trying to show us his loops in the wall LOL:D

I like the loops.

I'm just loopy.

jes25

Has anyone ever noticed that a 3" pancake has less than 6 cu. in. of space? That means you can't even put one 14-2 in it.

SiddMartin

nice idea! someday i may use that

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Has anyone ever noticed that a 3" pancake has less than 6 cu. in. of space? That means you can't even put one 14-2 in it.
There's always the fixture canopy volume. I've never seen one marked, though, but I've also never been pegged for using one.

jes25

There's always the fixture canopy volume. I've never seen one marked, though, but I've also never been pegged for using one.

I thought you couldn't count that volume. If I get motivated I'll look, I thought it was specfically not allowed to be counted.

I guess it's just one of those things............

trusdall84

Here's where they throw you for a loop.

[2002] 314.16(B)(1) Conductor fill. Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor passing through the box w/o splice/termination shall be counted once

As I read it, you only count the circuit the one time, so 2- 12's and 2-14's. Someone please please please explain it to me if I did something wrong.

gndrod

Good rope adjustable centering would align with the door height header at 80". A little off topic, but that plumber's dirty arm is over a horizontal 24" and should be a 2" diameter instead of the 1 1/2" pvc to compensate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.