# 14 switch legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texelect

Does the code allow you to use #14 switch legs on a 20 amp circuit? I see this in RNC applications and AHJ said it was acceptable. NEC allowed or AHJ accepted?

Texelect

I agree also, but inspector nearly red tagged me for using #14 nm/b in the bedrooms and livingroom, etc. in a new house. He said the would rather me use #12 on everything, but we could pull #14 for the switch legs. I said what the heck? No addendum to the code on all #12 in this city? He said no, just preference. But, #14 on SL's was OK.

Just wanting to clarify

480sparky

I agree also, but inspector nearly red tagged me for using #14 nm/b in the bedrooms and livingroom, etc. in a new house. He said the would rather me use #12 on everything, but we could pull #14 for the switch legs. I said what the heck? No addendum to the code on all #12 in this city? He said no, just preference. But, #14 on SL's was OK.

Just wanting to clarify

Yer 'spector iz needin edyoucayted.

e57

Does the code allow you to use #14 switch legs on a 20 amp circuit? I see this in RNC applications and AHJ said it was acceptable. NEC allowed or AHJ accepted?

"RNC applications"????

Switch legs are branch circuit wiring, and not tap conductors. Branch circuit wiring conductors are protected as per 240.4, which does not permit the use of 14 AWG protected with 20 amp overcurrent devices.

OK - just checking.... Slightly off topic - What about those listed in 240.4(G)?

growler

About four years ago an electrician that I was talking to at a code class was telling me about a rural county that allowed this.

It really would seem that with inspectors having to attend continueing education classes that these old myths would disappear. But I do expect to here about it in the furture that there is still some small town or rural county where the inspector thinks this is the correct thing to do.

I really have no idea how long it takes for these old myths and legands to die off. I expect that they are still burning witches in some part of the country and just keep it a secret. Old habits die hard.

inspector163

About four years ago an electrician that I was talking to at a code class was telling me about a rural county that allowed this.

It really would seem that with inspectors having to attend continueing education classes that these old myths would disappear. But I do expect to here about it in the furture that there is still some small town or rural county where the inspector thinks this is the correct thing to do.

I really have no idea how long it takes for these old myths and legands to die off. I expect that they are still burning witches in some part of the country and just keep it a secret. Old habits die hard.

Unfortunately, inspector ce is like contractor ce not enough time to cover all topics and the instructors think some things should just be clear so no reason to go over. And some insp. didn't start out as ec. I find things I need to go over in ec ce that I wouldn't expect every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.