Max #of circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

johneymac

:-?:-?i am using #12 thhn in 3/4'' emt, is 6 the maximum number of circuits i can install in this conduit. it is a continous load and i can not share the neutral. the circuit breaker size is a s.p 20A

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
:-?:-?i am using #12 thhn in 3/4'' emt, is 6 the maximum number of circuits i can install in this conduit. it is a continous load and i can not share the neutral. the circuit breaker size is a s.p 20A
I believe four 2-wire circuits using THHN can be used and still allow 20a on #12 wire.

SEO

Applying the adjustment factors to a #12 thhn you could use a 20 ampere overcurrent device and you could have up to 9 current-carrying conductors. However you are not sharing a neutral so in a 3/4" emt or any size emt you would only be able to have 4 120V circuits not sharing a neutral. Which is 8 current carring conductors.

mcclary's electrical

To stay within the confines of chaper 9 table one, fill to .213.
cross sectional area of #12 (table five) is .013, so that means you can fit sixteen wires. The pipe is your EGC, so you can have eight single pole circuits. Can you use MWBC? But derating is now an issue, in your case means derating to 50%,,,,which 310.16 thhn #12 is 30 amps. Which leaves you with 8 fifteen amp circuits.

johneymac

Roger, why is this a strange question for a contractor to ask,i have 347 luminares to istall, calculating my number of circuits and conduit runs is critical, rather ask for a second opion than do the job twice, johneymac

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger, why is this a strange question for a contractor to ask,i have 347 luminares to istall, calculating my number of circuits and conduit runs is critical, rather ask for a second opion than do the job twice, johneymac

I say it is strange because derating and CCC questions are parts of most if not all licensing exams, I will admit though, I have never taken the NJ contractors exam.

Roger

B4T

I hope one of the members of a CMP goes outside and gets some fresh air

The word "luminaries" (lighting fixtures) is the dumbest thing to date IMO

For 100 years it was "fixtures" and now it goes high tech :roll:

Last edited:

480sparky

I hope one of the members of a CMP goes outside and gets some fresh air

The word "luminaries" (lighting fixtures) is the dumbest thing to date IMO

For 100 years it was "fixtures" and now it goes high tech :roll:

Get used to it. And it's not 'high tech'.

It's French for 'a complete lighting unit'. Would you rather use that?

The NEC, while a US product, is increasingly being adopted in other countries. Language is slowly being introduced to make it easier for other countries to work with.

I guess you're gonna complain about the use of the metric system as well.

Last edited:

B4T

Get used to it.

The NEC, while a US product, is increasingly being adopted in other countries. Language is slowly being introduced to make it easier for other countries to work with.

I guess you're gonna complain about the use of the metric system as well.

So "LUMINARIES" is a word other countries use instead of lighting fixtures??

Why is it WE have to change our code to make it easier for them?

Let them pay a translator to write our code in their language

Using the metric system didn't work for road signs and it won't work for electrical work..

480sparky

Using the metric system didn't work for road signs and it won't work for electrical work..

Uh, I hate to tell you, but most of the English language is made up of words from OTHER LANGUAGES.;)

daleuger

And the metric system works just fine for both. Go anywhere outside this country. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Take note of the code book, notice it is part of the International Electrical Code Series.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.