switch top / bottom wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

reko19

I know that industry standard for a disconnect or any other switch for that matter is line conductors on top, load on the bottom. Is this a code requirement?:-? The only thing I could find is that when mounted vertically top position has to be on, bottom position of the switch has to be bottom. Case at hand involves molded case switch with line coming in at the bottom, load exiting on top, ON is when the switch handle is in the UP position.

Thank you.

mcclary's electrical

That sounds compliant to me. I've seen it done before, but have never done it. I would not recommend it, however I can't think of an article to say not to.

Buck Parrish

The wires don't have to be on top. Just switch off down. Or switched horizonally. side to side
They do have to be as required by manufactors instructions per ul listing

reko19

This switch is actually located inside UL listed AC unit. I don't see any issues but the contractor is blowing this out of proportions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here is a code compliant bottom fed CB. Notice that the terminals are factory marked for the feed on the bottom.

10%20Foot%20%20Tap%20Rule-3.jpg

reko19

I was afraid I was missing something, looks like the installation is fine. Thank you all for helping out.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
All UL489 circuit breakers may be 'fed from the bottom' unless they have specific markings indicating otherwise.

rt66electric

Don't taps off of line side have to be 1/3 size of primary??

Don't taps off of line side have to be 1/3 size of primary??

Is the tap conductors to small?? I thought the line side double tap cunductors had to be at least 1/3 of the size of the primary feeders??

I know you guys can "thump out" the correct code reference.

Our inspector would say something about no plastics bushing on the 3/4 fitting.

MacG

Here is a code compliant bottom fed CB. Notice that the terminals are factory marked for the feed on the bottom.

10%20Foot%20%20Tap%20Rule-3.jpg

As an AV consultant with no formal electrical training I am curious about this photo. It appears that the line is coming into the bottom fed breaker and the double taps are out to the sides feeding I presume other panels or disconnects (these appear to be over 40% fill but this is a 2 dimensional photo and hard to tell). What would the three smaller conductors from the bottom feed (by passing the breaker) and the neutral be going to? A disconnect of some sort?

Additionally I see that there are grounding conductors that go out of the side conduits but no ground wire coming in. Is this likely because the conduits out of the side are some how not compliant as a ground path but the smaller 3/4" conduit perhaps is?

Thanks for your patience and time,

MacG

RUWired

When it comes to knife blade switched disconnects, article 404.6(C) requires that the knife blades are de-energized when the switch is open.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To answer some of the questions about the photo the smaller conductors (#6 AWG) are a tap (10' rule) to a disconnect for a monitoring circuit. Everything on the load side of the 400 CB is factory wiring to dimming equipment. The conduit is 3" or 3.5" EMT, more than adequate as the EGC and fill compliant with 4-600 kcmil conductors. No bushing is required on the 3/4" nipple since the conductors are smaller than #4. I used this photo simply because is depicted a bottom feed. Here's a better photo of the tap.

10%20Foot%20%20Tap%20Rule-2.jpg

Cavie

Is the tap conductors to small?? I thought the line side double tap cunductors had to be at least 1/3 of the size of the primary feeders??

I know you guys can "thump out" the correct code reference.

Our inspector would say something about no plastics bushing on the 3/4 fitting.

I'm guessing that what you are calling "tap conductors" is most likley a surge arrester. Bushing not required

RUWired

He said molded case breaker, not knife blades.
I know that, but the OP's opening question stated disconnects.So for informational purpose i quoted an article that applies to disconnects:).
reko19 said:
I know that industry standard for a disconnect or any other switch for that matter is line conductors on top, load on the bottom. Is this a code requirement?:confused:

And a bushing is not required if smaller than #4.
rtelectric questioned the bushing.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
When it comes to knife blade switched disconnects, article 404.6(C) requires that the knife blades are de-energized when the switch is open.
Good point. Also fuses must be de-energized when the switch is open.

But that does not mean that a switch can not be bottom fed. There are large bolted pressure switches which can be built 'upside down'.

Status
Not open for further replies.