Siemans Service Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

The box bonding screw for Siemans service panels are being installed at the factory, but
are not driven in all the way. I expect that it is assumed that the installer will tighten it.

Imo it is a poor practice because it appears to be properly installed and it is likely that it will not get tightened. They should leave it unattached.

Has anyone noticed this? and what is your opinion? I have a call in to a Siemans rep. and will question him regarding it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It might be a better alternative than providing the bond screw loose in the panel or in a parts bag as some manufacturers do....at least it's present when finished.
I think good practice is to check the torque on all connections in the panel.
When inspecting, I always check the bond screw for tightness and often find them loose.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I expect that it is assumed that the installer will tighten it.

Or remove it. The bonding screw is threaded into the plastic that holds the neutral buss off the can. The installer either finishes screwing it through the plastic into the can or removes it. As Gus mentioned IMO it is a good practice by Siemens as they don't get lost.

nakulak

A good installer will always check to see whether or not that screw is in its proper configuration. any installer who does not check to see if the box is bonded or not is not doing his job, imho.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with previous posters. I like the way it's installed, it doesn't get lost.

We have had issues in the past with the bonding screws in Siemens panels not reaching the threads in the back of the cans though. Now that's irritating!:mad:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have had issues in the past with the bonding screws in Siemens panels not reaching the threads in the back of the cans though. Now that's irritating!:mad:
Must be that mysterious dimple on the back of the can. ;)

electricmanscott

The box bonding screw for Siemans service panels are being installed at the factory, but
are not driven in all the way. I expect that it is assumed that the installer will tighten it.

Imo it is a poor practice because it appears to be properly installed and it is likely that it will not get tightened. They should leave it unattached.

Has anyone noticed this? and what is your opinion? I have a call in to a Siemans rep. and will question him regarding it.

I always tighten the screw. I think. ;) I have never thought of it as a problem but I can see how it might be overlooked.

Buck Parrish

It's simple some times you use it some times you install a ground bar and use it as a sub panel. Those screws are hard to fine when you need one.

gndrod

loose screw

loose screw

Yes I did at the 2009 NECA convention in Seattle this week. The bus on the panel being used as a breadboard did not have the bonding screw in the panel. This was the Siemens display for their new CAFCI circuit testing module at their booth. I asked why the enclosure was not bonded and kinda surprised the rep. Must have been too loose. rbj

TOOL_5150

Top right bus bar.. is a pic of a siemens panel.

DSC00678.JPG

THIS IS NOT MY WORK

~Matt

Last edited:

gndrod

The green bonding screw is just an example of what the OP is talkign about... this is a siemens panel, it came from factory half way in as you see it.

~Matt

Ok. The screw is not in all the way for a bonding violation. Looks like all the feeders are the same Awg including the EGC. (The neutral can not be smaller than the GEC.) The box seems mounted square against the corner studs and the switch to the left might also interfere if it is that close. Might be a problem when coming time to put the cover on after sheetrocking. Cabling seems to be coming up from the underfloor direction and far from the Main disconnect? Those conductors need to be in a compliant raceway. No view of the grounding terminal bar to see the grounding electrode conductor. I hope you can help your friend. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.