Conduits on the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Are the Blocks used to support conduits that are run across a flat roof required to be secured to the roof ? I've seen several instances where conduits were strapped to 4x4 treated blocks that were just layed on the roof that had been kicked around and crooked.

iwire

Staff member
Are the Blocks used to support conduits that are run across a flat roof required to be secured to the roof ? I've seen several instances where conduits were strapped to 4x4 treated blocks that were just layed on the roof that had been kicked around and crooked.

That would be up to the AHJ to decide if the raceways are secured.

Where I am what you describe is common practice however I have started using these instead of wood.

http://www.erico.com/products.asp?folderID=189

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
on a side note, you might want to keep this in mind on rooftop installations:
Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable
(c) Conduits Exposed to Sunlight on Rooftops.Where conductors or cables are installed in conduits exposed to direct sunlight on or above rooftops, the adjustments shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(c) shall be added to the outdoor temperature to determine the applicable ambient temperature for application of the correction factors in Table 310.16 and Table 310.18.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Ive used these before also. They are about $25.00 each. for a 10" wide with deep strut on top.
My original question was about having to secure them to the deck so they won't move around. I guess its different everywhere you go.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
on a side note, you might want to keep this in mind on rooftop installations:
Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable
(c) Conduits Exposed to Sunlight on Rooftops.Where conductors or cables are installed in conduits exposed to direct sunlight on or above rooftops, the adjustments shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(c) shall be added to the outdoor temperature to determine the applicable ambient temperature for application of the correction factors in Table 310.16 and Table 310.18.

Thats good advice, but I dont have more than 3 Current Carrying conductors in this run.

iwire

Staff member
Thats good advice, but I don't have more than 3 Current Carrying conductors in this run.

Even with just two current carrying conductors this applies

I have never had to secure either wood or caddy 'sleepers', if it's up to me I use RMC so they do not get destroyed.

The Gas fitters do not secure their runs to the roof either.

SEO

I've gone on roofs, ladders, crawl spaces, attics, on lifts up in the steel almost any place that requires to be inspected. Sometimes I'd rather not but I will anyway.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've gone on roofs, ladders, crawl spaces, attics, on lifts up in the steel almost any place that requires to be inspected. Sometimes I'd rather not but I will anyway.

I'm with Steve on this one. I found about 10 corrections in an attic the other day and the guy straight up told me, "I didn't think you would go up there.":)

As for securing it to the roof, remember "securing and supporting", doesn't do any good to support it if you don't secure it. Now with some of the roof systems out there I would be very careful about what I did as they will void the warrenty if you do anything to the roof, but I have seen them install the blocks for the contractors.

220/221

Out here, any kind of wood turns to crap in a few years.

I started using short cut pieces of PVC and two hole straps. After everything is installed, I caulk the PVC pieces to the roof to hold it in place without doing any damage. When running across a roof, I always put supports on both sides of couplings and one in the center.

Volta

Most conduits only need to be secured at the termination points xxx.30(A), and can simply be supported elsewhere xxx.30(B). That should make the various blocks ok for the long runs, but some extra means should be provided at the ends.

Karl H

The "Sleeper's" I use are similar to Iwires but are heavy rubber,uni-strut on
top, and have slanted yellow lines on the sides. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the manufacture right now.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Out here, any kind of wood turns to crap in a few years.

I started using short cut pieces of PVC and two hole straps. After everything is installed, I caulk the PVC pieces to the roof to hold it in place without doing any damage. When running across a roof, I always put supports on both sides of couplings and one in the center.

Have you gone back on any jobs and the the state of the PVC to how well it's doing? I know you've seen baked PVC around here.

Here is a part of the installation instructions:

"
▲​
Once installed, CADDY PYRAMID will not creep due

to compression at rated loads"

After reading that, I would say that securing them to the roof is not required.

Karl H

I'm with Steve on this one. I found about 10 corrections in an attic the other day and the guy straight up told me, "I didn't think you would go up there.":)

As for securing it to the roof, remember "securing and supporting", doesn't do any good to support it if you don't secure it. Now with some of the roof systems out there I would be very careful about what I did as they will void the warrenty if you do anything to the roof, but I have seen them install the blocks for the contractors.

If a "Electrician" said that to me, I would have quickly pulled out the
"Fine-Toothed Comb!"

220/221

Have you gone back on any jobs and the the state of the PVC to how well it's doing? I know you've seen baked PVC around here.

It certainly gets baked but it doesn't get brittle. I recently saw some that was installed 5 or 6 years ago and it was still in place.

The biggest prob;em is getting kicked around. On an old asphalt rolled roof the surface doen't lend itself to adhesion. The newer rubberized stuff will hold better but you are going to have to have to sweep off some of the dirt.

If money is no object, those nig curbs look like a pretty good way to go. For a simple circuit/service call I would probably just use what I stock.

macmikeman

They make treated 4x4 lumber, and they make lap cement. Some lap cement painted very liberally onto the bottom of the 4x4 (heck, I paint the whole support with it) and it stays put. Course here not much freezes to deal with so this might be a post only for sensible localities....

Status
Not open for further replies.