Receptacle without visible cover plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

gndrod

No removable cover

No removable cover

This company has a series of receptacles that have a cover plate that is mudded over, so only the receptacle shows.
http://www.bocci.ca/#/22-standard/
Interesting, and clean looking. Its CSA approved, but may not be CSA - US.
I don't see the cover plate as distracting, but someone did.

Hi Tom,

The vendor had no mention of accessibility to the outlet box. This may be conflicting with local adopted AHJ acceptance. Experience with past inspections dealing with wall outlet boxes, AHJ's required accessibility and no mud over J-box plates of in-wall blanked wiring connections. Interesting that I could not find any mention of required accessibility to receptacle or switch circuit wall box outlets by plate removals. rbj

north star

`

In Assembly Removal Slide # 6,
" ...touch up drywall and
paint if needed"
. They're kidding right ! This
newfangled contraption, ...eeerrr, I mean 'assembly'
looks like a maintenance nightmare. Oh yeah, ...ya
gotta buy the 'Special Assembly Removal Tool also!

`

gndrod

Extensions

Extensions

[314.22] Surface extensions NEC exception partial quote...."The wiring method shall be flexible for a length sufficient to permit removal of the cover and provide access to the box interior,...."

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Looks to me like you can fully service the device without damaging the finnish.
From what I can tell the device is pigtailed and it has some sort of bayonet interlock. Unlock with the tool and change the device.
What the issue?????

gndrod

Looks to me like you can fully service the device without damaging the finnish.
From what I can tell the device is pigtailed and it has some sort of bayonet interlock. Unlock with the tool and change the device.
What the issue?????

There may be a challenge getting to wire a parallel half-hot....

celtic

For those they can't figure out how to RTFM :roll:...

Here are some images:

plateless.jpg

Finished product

plateless2.jpg

Product

platelessinstall.jpg

Product Installation

platelesstool.jpg

Device removal tool.

http://www.bocci.ca/#/22-instructions/
et al.

While appealing to the eye....it looks like a collassal PITA....from install to troubleshooting/repair/replacement.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Here's what it looks like after the drywallers and painters have finished, and just before you install the receptacle:

:)
Now where the heck did that outlet go......

480sparky

Here's what it looks like after the drywallers and painters have finished, and just before you install the receptacle:

Really. I seriously doubt the drywallers want to spend any amount of time making a nice smooth edge on their mud job inside that little circle. Chances are, the entire contraption will just get mudded in and painted over.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

We all know that is exactly what will happen. I hope they sell a tracer with that!:grin:

W

mivey

Really. I seriously doubt the drywallers want to spend any amount of time making a nice smooth edge on their mud job inside that little circle. Chances are, the entire contraption will just get mudded in and painted over.
Those guys are the consummate professionals and here you are casting dispersions.:grin:

I do not like it. Rather than hiding the receptacle, it looks ostentatious.

hurk27

[314.22] Surface extensions NEC exception partial quote...."The wiring method shall be flexible for a length sufficient to permit removal of the cover and provide access to the box interior,...."

Exactly, I do not see where you will have access to the wiring or conduits after the mounting plate is installed and mudded over without damaging the wall finish. I believe this was the intent of 314.22 Exception, and in 314.29

314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building

Yes the end of the pigtails are accessible, but what about the wiring back in the box, what about the conduit, if other circuits need to be pulled or replaced if ever a failure?

I think this manufacture and their web site should be reported to UL.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes the end of the pigtails are accessible, but what about the wiring back in the box, what about the conduit, if other circuits need to be pulled or replaced if ever a failure?

I don't see how the accessibility is any worse than NM cable stapled inside the wall & pulled into a plastic box.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.