Receptacle without visible cover plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

I think its pretty cool. Of course, for households with kids with dirty hands it might not be such a great idea, but I bet a lot of crazy designers are lovin it.

hurk27

And what do you expect UL to do about it?

I sent a message to UL, about this, to see what they say.

it is not a UL listed item, but web site in the link does state "Approved to UL standards by CSA" which could be a violation of UL rules. as it is saying this item would be listed by UL if so testing was done.
I don't think (I could be wrong) UL will list an item if it violates the NEC, which by 314.29 I think it does.

I will post their reply as soon as I get it.

Here is what I see wrong, NEC requires access to the wiring in the box's 314.29, with this set up, you can not access the box, without damaging the wall, and or the screws that attach the adapter are covered by mud, which would render them un accessible, so if a electrician needed to get to the box, he would have no idea where to look for the screws.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's what it looks like after the drywallers and painters have finished, and just before you install the receptacle:

:)
Now where the heck did that outlet go......
Lemme guess: That's a picture of a polar bear in a blizzard.

electricmanscott

I like it. I think it's pretty cool and if legal I'd use it.

I will say though that when I clicked on the "removal tool" link I was hoping to see a picture of a sledgehammer. :)

gndrod

For those they can't figure out how to RTFM :roll:...

Here are some images:

platelessinstall.jpg

Product Installation

http://www.bocci.ca/#/22-instructions/
et al.

While appealing to the eye....it looks like a collassal PITA....from install to troubleshooting/repair/replacement.

I agree,

The sequence of installation rough and finish seems to require another inspection finish sequence....meaning the electrical installer must come back an additional time to put the receptacle patch on before the tape, texture and painter show up, then the electrician must come back to put in the receptacle socket for a final rough. That means extra $$$$ cost for another additional inspection fee. Not the best for the EC. rbj

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
not much different from "walker" duct.

I live in Massachusetts and my first experience with that stuff was building a warehouse-type store. The guy kept talking about this stuff called Walk-a-duct. I thought it was called that because we were going to be installing it in the floor and you'd be able to walk over it. It wasn't until there was actually some Walker Duct on the site and I looked at it and realized I had been missing his accent.

LJSMITH1

I think this manufacture and their web site should be reported to UL.

They have a CSA-US approval already...so what's the problem? The CSA listing follows UL498 and UL1682.

http://directories.csa-international.org/cert_rec_srch.asp?txtDir=*&Submit=Search&txtCustomer=Bocci&txtProvState=&txtCountry=&txtFile=&txtMajorClass=&txtMinorClass=&txtClassDesc=&txtKeyword=

Furthermore, this is one of those 'high-end', ultra-modern designer products that would only be used in a handful of locations around the country. Its not like the local condo or trac home complex is going to be built with these for the reasons stated by others.

As for damaging the wall to access the cover, I wonder if the NEC means damage with regards to the substrate (i.e. Drywall)? The finish over this thing is more like a thin coat of mud, which with a light tap from a hammer on the plastic plate, could break it loose from the plate and expose the screws. Then the plate could be easily removed to expose the box. It would definitely take more time, but that's the downside of this product.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just think of the poor sap that gets called to work on one of these and has never seen them, thus has no clue about the special tool needed to remove the receptacle.

Since a special tool is required and there seems to be no indication of the manufacturer visible on the receptacle, let alone any indication for the requirement of a special tool to be used, I would consider the interior of the box to be non-accessible.

480sparky

Just think of the poor sap that gets called to work on one of these and has never seen them, thus has no clue about the special tool needed to remove the receptacle.

Since a special tool is required and there seems to be no indication of the manufacturer visible on the receptacle, let alone any indication for the requirement of a special tool to be used, I would consider the interior of the box to be non-accessible.

So lamps should be outlawed as well? When you look at one, it's not obvious how to remove it.
mw_hmmm.gif

skeshesh

wow...

wow...

Oh man. The age old question of function vs. form comes around the corner yet again. Personally I think it's lame and ridiculous. I mean does that cover plate make typical recepts look bad? I think it's just another bunch of artsy fartsy design creeps trying to look cool - which reminds me... if you ever visit LA do yourself a favor and don't go anywhere near MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Arts).

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much as socially liberal as they come so I don't mind what these guys are doing, but IMO the notion of something being purely aesthetic with no function is pretty lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.