Side Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankft2000

You don't fire anybody, but there seems to be a work slow down so we are going to have to lay you off. Don't bother trying to collect unemployement because you are earning money through your own business.

220/221

If the company states "no side work" in its policy, then would consider it a violation?

Come on now. You know the answer to that. You are trying to use a Bill Clinton definition.

Power Tech

If guys are doing side work, I can't see a problem if they have all the licenses, permits, and required insurances in place.

As long as it is not my customer, truck, tools, and parts.

Even if he is straight up with it and pays for material it would be more exposure in liability insurance to more money through the company.

And who pays for the material handling.

On the other hand, if I am an employer and I do not give the employee as much work as he can handle, he has the right to work and do whatever to make money.

I do not let my employees take the trucks home.

I have found it better not to tempt people.

Really good people will do things with no "controls" in place.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Unless you signed an actual "non-compete" when you got hired, the rest is just mumbo jumbo. Do what you want when you get off. Just make sure you are legal in your business, or they can stop you that way, then fire you. You won't have either.
If there is a company manual the states no side work and you are in direct competition then expect to be disciplined or fired.

satcom

Even if they're competing with the contractor that they work for? Certainly a trunk slammer with a license can do the job for less that his boss who has lot's of overhead costs.

If they are stealing work from your company, put them on the street, and take them to court to recover any losses.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If they are stealing work from your company, put them on the street, and take them to court to recover any losses.
Send a bill for the work done to the customer, and explain that the ex-employee is the one they should chase to get the first charge refunded.

boboelectric

I think I know how most people feel about side work on this forum.

My question is this, if an employee carries his own license, insurance, vehicle, own advertising, etc. for a side business, is that considered side work?

Please don't reply with: "Why don't you start your own business?" This would be if you are just starting up.

Thanks.

When you can,go. They can add another page in the phone book.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
if my employee can steal and satisfy my customer, i had'nt been doing my job. free enterprise works on competition.

i'd rather have the employee come talk to me, i've helped other electricians get started by giving advice and sending them jobs that i couldn't get to or didn't want. in return i'd have a new electrician that i could hire to produce more work, mark up their prices and make some money.

i see i've written this from an employer's point of view.

fondini

A license can only be assigned to one business,if yours is assigned to your boss's,then you are illegal. I do wonder,why work for someone else?

nhfire77

A license can only be assigned to one business,if yours is assigned to your boss's,then you are illegal. I do wonder,why work for someone else?

Assigned.... not a term used locally. I can work for a separate company and myself here, they know about it though.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..I do wonder,why work for someone else?

Building un/related side business during stable employment avoids leveraging pension or credit cards while developing invoiced-client revenue.

One of my GC's who quit employers cold turkey tells me, after losing money for 5 years there's no retirement remaining except a bullet for his gun.

During the last 25 years the SBA (Small Business Administration) considered 5 years to profitability a quick study, but only for 5% of new businesses that survived.

Starting a SEP (Self-Employment Pension) from scratch after age 40 offers little value beyond a savings account. Mature people who quit work for self-employment, or use pensions to fund their start ups, rely on good health or spousal support since there is nothing if injured.

glene77is

iWire,
You wrote
""...biting the hand that feeds me is both a bad move and low class ..."
I spent three years trying to pass business through to my employer. He would eat-the-lunch & bite-the-hand. So, I stopped passing work through, just let it lay fallow. Now that's all past, I acted ethically, draw two pensions, and feel good about the kind of work I rustle up now.

You have made some good comments.
You have been around the tree several times.

:)

glene77is

Growler,

Having been in and out of work for 18 years, since I retired from the State. I have visited the unemployment (Workforce Development) office and studied our local rules out of necessity, been through two arbitrations (and won). Done side work, and not, and pulled unemployment when eligable. This is not the happiest subject on the planet, for me. So, I am glad to see someone else speaking to the subject. Thanks.

In Tennessee, "right to work" refers to the legality of free formation of unions. "Conflict of interest" (in my direct experience) has not been allowed as "cause" for an employer. "Running a separate business" would probably leave a man being 'not qualified' for unemployment. Our Workforce Development is very much an advocate for the un-employed. Guess your area is different.

On the other hand,
If an employeer brings the police to the job site and has you arrested for stealing, then there is no recourse.

Thanks again for sharing your views.
BTW,
I still attend 'career transition' meetings several times a week,
and keep my HandBook open on a special table.

:)

VoltageHz

Even if they're competing with the contractor that they work for? Certainly a trunk slammer with a license can do the job for less that his boss who has lot's of overhead costs.

If that guy's boss wants to compete with "trunk slammers" then he needs to lower his overhead.

I love when people bash small one man shops (and call them "trunk slammers") and act as if they are doing something wrong by being a small contractor with little overhead. Oh, how unethical!

bradleyelectric

If that guy's boss wants to compete with "trunk slammers" then he needs to lower his overhead.

I love when people bash small one man shops (and call them "trunk slammers") and act as if they are doing something wrong by being a small contractor with little overhead. Oh, how unethical!

I'm thinking the usual definition of a trunk slammer is someone that either does not depend on their business for benefits due to they receive them from another source and don't have a proper work vehicle and price their work that way, or someone that doesn't have any benefits, prices their work to low to ever hope to have benefits and is basically a drain on tax payers.

I think this all stems from the fact that a trunk slammer never figures out what his overhead really is and prices accordingly. A small contractor usually has a larger per hour worked number than someone that splits their overhead number over a larger work force.

Last edited:
To address the OP, if a company has a written policy of "no side work" and you are working on the side than it looks like a clear violation to me.

Personally my view echoes those who feel that as long as you're not taking my material or my customers (or potential customers that I have drummed up through years of advertising, networking etc), not taking time from my jobs to make phone calls for yours or using my tools, than go ahead, knock yourself out.

Amusing story about the way not to do side work. Many years ago I was working for a company who brought on a new J-man. A month or so into his stint he was given his calls for the day, took his apprentice and left the shop. The bosses found out he didn't make it to his first call. They wound up tracking him down and it turns out he went to work on one his side jobs. When met with the outrage of the bosses his response was "I had to get here today, they were going to start sheetrocking". Needless to say that was his last day.

aline

I wouldn't be so sure a small one man shop has little overhead.
Read the article on page 14 in the link below.
http://www.phccwa.org/pdf/spring2008.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.