Article 210.21 (b) (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

This article states that 15A receptacles are permitted on 20A multi-outlet circuits.

Does this apply to commercial building's?
I remember in the past and this was a while back, we were always installing 20A devices on 20Amp circuits.

480sparky

The word "Dwelling" does not appear in the article, therefore the word "Non-Dwelling" or phrase "Other than Dwellings" will not be there as well.

Ergo, it's legal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Alot of people dont know it, but some of those 15 amp receptacles actually are only allowed on 15 amp circuits per the manufacturers instructions. So you would have to install it according to the listing. ;)

Do you have an example of such a receptacle? I was under the impression that no such prohibition existed. In fact all 15 amp duplex receptacles are tested and listed for feed through on 20 amp circuits.

iwire

Staff member
Alot of people dont know it, but some of those 15 amp receptacles actually are only allowed on 15 amp circuits per the manufacturers instructions. So you would have to install it according to the listing. ;)

If you can find a 15 amp duplex that says it can not be installed on a 20 amp circuit I bet they are not UL listed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I think some retail stores may incorrectly have this in their sales literature but it is not part of the product listing and labeling.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.