Weatherproof wirenuts question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Are they necessary when connecting the ground wires together? I can see why for CCC. Thank you for your help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are they necessary when connecting the ground wires together? I can see why for CCC. Thank you for your help.
If you understand why it is necessary for CCC then you should see why for the egc. Loosing a ground is more dangerous then loosing the CCC. Safety here not functionality-- the egc is very important to be kept in tact.

zappy

So you can use rmc in the ground correct? You can use the conduit as a grd. correct? So should you coat the whole pipe in silicone? I'm not tryin to be a smart a#%. I'm just trying to understand. What about a grd clamp direct buried? Should that connection be dipped in silicone?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So you can use rmc in the ground correct? You can use the conduit as a grd. correct? So should you coat the whole pipe in silicone? I'm not tryin to be a smart a#%. I'm just trying to understand. What about a grd clamp direct buried? Should that connection be dipped in silicone?
Brass and bronze will last much, much longer in the ground than even galvanized (zinc-coated) steel will.

Status
Not open for further replies.