tamper proof outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

You send a check to cover the difference in price and I'll gladly do it. Because if you think my customers, or even myself, are going to pay it to feel good about ourselves you are mistaken.

But what happens and who pays when you run into an inspector that in-forces code and turns the job down?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
But what happens and who pays when you run into an inspector that in-forces code and turns the job down?

I currently do so little residential work involving this, its not a big issue, but I know if its being enforced before doing the job.

My area may be a little different than some, where as no matter what city i'm in, I always know exactly which inspector is checking the job.

laketime

I currently do so little residential work involving this, its not a big issue, but I know if its being enforced before doing the job.

My area may be a little different than some, where as no matter what city i'm in, I always know exactly which inspector is checking the job.

Not to mention if something happens later on down the line and you are the contractor that did not install required devices.

kbsparky

We have started using the TR receptacles, even though they were not required yet. One was an addition for a day-care center. If there was ever an occupancy that needed those, that was it!

As for the TR switches, we have installed a few of those as requested by management of the facilities where needed.

4C8BF68240B94EAA832629F32C50F760.ashx

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
you're all missing the point
its possible that i missed your point, then again maybe i was making a point

i'm not crazy about getting work by being the low bidder, i'd rather sell value and make a good income

then again sometimes i don't have as much work as i would like, i wonder what costs i can cut to be able to bid jobs cheaper.

then i get busy again and forget about it

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
So what is it?

it would be no different than bidding a job using the price of decora devices when the next guy uses standard resi devices.

or bidding a resi job using #12 everywhere when the next guy bids using #14.

Count the number of GC's doing spec homes that give a darn about something not code required.

laketime

If it is not required by your current code then do not install them. We are under the 2008 so I install them regardless of the inspector.

electricmanscott

it would be no different than bidding a job using the price of decora devices when the next guy uses standard resi devices.

Count the number of GC's doing spec homes that give a darn about something not code required.

So you don't work under the 2008 NEC?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You'd be surprised just how fast a supply house will stock something when his customers can not get a job to pass code.
As long as it's enforced uniformly throughout a jurisdiction, everyone's still on the same plane. The EC's will still be bidding on the same work.

In a place where they're not available, I can't imagine that nobody would bring it up if a change in enforcement policy was being implemented.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Both of which would (should) be discussed and agreed upon before making choices.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

During the years when I was wiring a lot of new homes I always used #12. I know I lost a lot of work by doing so, but it gave me time to add circuits in existing houses wired with #14 where breakers would trip. One of my first builders lived in a house wired by his previous electrician. When both daughters used hair dryers in different bathrooms at the same time, the breaker would trip. Their joke was that they'd holler the electricians name as a cuss-word. This was early 80's. Right then I started pulling separate circuits to each bathroom, costing more wire, another breaker, and another GFCI. But they never hollered my name when their hair dryer quit.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
So you don't work under the 2008 NEC?

we're supposed to, but as stated, no one here is enforcing the TR receps; so it would be pointless to include it in the price when no one else is. Not that I do much new resi, but that's how it is.

readydave8 said:
During the years when I was wiring a lot of new homes I always used #12. I know I lost a lot of work by doing so, but it gave me time to add circuits in existing houses wired with #14 where breakers would trip.

when was it legal to wire bathrooms on #14? Even if not enforced, that's just foolish.

And trying to compete w/ guys pricing #14 when you're pricing #12 is foolish as well.

New resi tract homes is monkey work. No need to overkill it when no one else cares.

I'm not in business to feel good about myself.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
we're supposed to, but as stated, no one here is enforcing the TR receps; so it would be pointless to include it in the price when no one else is. Not that I do much new resi, but that's how it is.

when was it legal to wire bathrooms on #14? Even if not enforced, that's just foolish.

And trying to compete w/ guys pricing #14 when you're pricing #12 is foolish as well.

New resi tract homes is monkey work. No need to overkill it when no one else cares.

I'm not in business to feel good about myself.
I'm not in business to feel good about myself either. I'm also not in business to wire houses, I could work for someone else and do that. I'm in business to make money. I'll never be the Sam's Club of electricians, so I don't try. Working for people that are willing to pay more for higher quality work is what works for me.

I have friends that go for the volume, get most of their work by competetive pricing. It seems to work well for the ones that have been around for a while. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for everyone, to each his own.

I believe it was legal then to wire bathrooms on #14 but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. I seem to remember when it changed to #12, I said "I told you so!" Also don't remember who I said it too, maybe to more than one electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.