Wire pulling lube question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was reading on the back, and it says do not energize until completely dry. I never knew this. So how long should you wait?:-?

iwire

Staff member
You are not supposed to be reading directions. :grin:

I have never intentionally waited for it to dry. Of course the ends are dried to terminate but the unbroken conductor is listed for wet locations so I never give it any thought. :confused:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO this is just CYA info provided by the manufacturer in case there's ever a problem. Like Bob said conductors are designed to be run in wet locations so why should some lube be a problem? Besides, how would you ever know if the lube in the middle of a pipe run is dry?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
I saw a guy use WD40 as lube today.

He said "It works well and the THWN is oil resistant.."

Seemed like a bad idea to me.

sparky=t

wire pulling lube

wire pulling lube

I was reading on the back, and it says do not energize until completely dry. I never knew this. So how long should you wait?:-?

hope the cub reads the directions!, he could be pulling more than the wire!

TOOL_5150

Many years ago, I sprayed WD40 down a pipe to get the fishtape around the last bend. I then learned the art of "backfishing" with a secondary fish tape.

It had been quite a few years since I did that, I still remember the job. Never got any callbacks yet, so I guess THWN is WD40 resistant. :grin:

~Matt

drbond24

IMO this is just CYA info provided by the manufacturer in case there's ever a problem. Like Bob said conductors are designed to be run in wet locations so why should some lube be a problem? Besides, how would you ever know if the lube in the middle of a pipe run is dry?

I 2nd this. On the 1 in a bazillion chance that something bad happened when you energized the cable and you tried to go after the lube manufacturer, they would ask you if you had used their lube per their instructions. You would say yes, and then they would ask you to prove the lube was dry when you energized. You wouldn't be able to, so they would not be liable. A bit far-fetched perhaps, but they're just covering their rear.

dibloafer

IMO this is just CYA info provided by the manufacturer in case there's ever a problem.

Besides, how would you ever know if the lube in the middle of a pipe run is dry?

Ideal sells blue lube that if you put some on your hands and rub it together a few times, it turns to glue in a matter of seconds. IMO the only thing that particular lube is good for is giving you blue hands. :grin:

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Some types of lube are conductive and you should not energize the circuits until the lube has dried for that reason. It is not simply a CYA. I do not know how long it takes to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.