in-use cover on dco in exterior soffit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iefm

I've looked thru the code book but couldn't find anything.

We are putting GFI receptacles on the underside of an exterior soffit (face down). They will be using them for christmas lights. My question is wether or not there needs to be an in-use weather resistant cover in place?

Thank you.

guschash

Doesn't 406.8 ( A ) say that you need a weatherproof? I am just asking because when I read it that what I getting that it says.

gus

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Doesn't 406.8 ( A ) say that you need a weatherproof? I am just asking because when I read it that what I getting that it says.

gus

You need to start with the definition of the location where the receptacle is installed. Compare Location, Wet and Location, Damp in Article 100.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can't leave the Christmas lights up 590.3(B) only 90 days.
Who decides whether decorative lighting is holdiay lighting? What if someone uses what resemble X-mas lights as year-round lighting around their deck, for example?

I also wonder whether 590 applies to permanent receptacles and their loads at all. If I didn't consider a lighting install to be temporary, I wouldn't look in 590 at all.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well since everyone else on here is so good at nitpicking I'll just note that 406.8 does not say anything about under eves.

Just saying.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.