How do you treat your peers?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

How do you treat your peers?

• I appreciate the more experienced and pass on my knowledge to those with less experience

Votes: 80 81.6%
  • I respect those with more experience than me and ignore those with less than me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I try to pass on my knowledge to the less experienced and ignore those that know more than me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't see the advantage of giving anybody else any advice based on my experience

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I do not like the wording of any of the other choices

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'll have to assume that the people that voted for the "I don't like the way the other options are worded" choice also don't appreciate those with more experience than them, nor do they want to pass on their knowledge.

So...if you don't like the wording...tell us what you are all about. You already said you don't learn from your elders and pass on info to your youngers. So tell us where you stand.

This poll is anonymous, so you don't have to out yourself...but if you want to, you should.

Karl H

In my experience, if you don't educate your crew one on one your just
shooting yourself in the foot. I get guys from other crews, that work under
foremen that don't teach and they are so counter productive compared
to my guys, that are very adaptive and not afraid to ask before they" just
guess", when faced with a new challenge.

TOOL_5150

i voted on this a while ago. I chose #1. I am greatfull of the knowledge that others have passed to me. I wouldnt be where I am today if not for others. i have no electricians in my family, and all my learning for the most part is hands on with other people and self taught out of the book. I appreciate the members and the forums I belong to. It is a wealth of free knowledge from others across the world, who I may have never been able to talk to if not for the forums. I have a helper that I am sure I bore daily with code articles and tidbits of information.

Basically, I have definately benefited by others passing along their knowledge, so I feel I should pass my knowledge to others asking for help. Not because I have to, but because I want to.

~Matt

realolman

I'll have to assume that the people that voted for the "I don't like the way the other options are worded" choice also don't appreciate those with more experience than them, nor do they want to pass on their knowledge .........

I voted for the don't like, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and don't pass on. It means I didn't like any of the other choices.

Lots of fine people out there with more experience... enough jerks too. Some who couldn't pour yellow liquid out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel.

I think it all depends on the individuals every where you turn... above, below, or beside.

I'm thinking you must have had some reason or experience for posting this. You feeling like some older guy doesn't tell you enough? You thinking some younger guy doesn't appreciate you

Something happen you'd care to tell us about?

growler

How do you treat electricians with more or less experience than you?

/anonymous poll

I guess we need to define the term "peers". If another EC is playing by the same rules as me, hiring legal workers, paying payroll taxes, worker's comp, insurance, health benefits, etc. then he's my peer and I have no problem imparting knowledge I may have that he doesn't. On the other hand, if he wins a bid over me and he's hiring day workers off the side of the road and not paying any of the bennies he's not a peer and he gets nothing from me.

Goldstar has a good point. Are you talking about electricians that are working with or for you, or are you talking about the competition?

If someone is working with or for you then helping them and training them can be benifical to you. If they are in direct competition with you then it's every man for himself. I wouldn't waste any time trying to help out the competition, I'm talking about direct competition as in bidding for the same jobs. I like being a nice guy but I don't go that far.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Goldstar has a good point. Are you talking about electricians that are working with or for you, or are you talking about the competition?

I have never met another electrician that I felt was "the competition".

I feel like they are my compadres, my brothers...guys that I can talk with to learn new things.

So you guys have competitors?

jaylectricity

Occupation
I voted for the don't like, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and don't pass on. It means I didn't like any of the other choices.

But you did like one of the choices. You liked the first one. I think I made my point with this poll...either you liked the first choice, or you didn't like any of the other choices.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When we're talking about knowledge one part of it would be knowledge of the NEC, I have often wished my competitors knew more, than we would be bidding the same work. I have heard several say "I always follow the codes that I know'" , what kind of motivation do they have to learn?

My peers and betters were and are very generous, I've learned a lot and when I was starting out some established electricians would refer work to me when they were too busy. I try to do the same for the ones coming up now.

Also I'm still making mistakes and learning from them. In fact some days I learn a whole lot. Other days things go pretty well.

growler

I have heard several say "I always follow the codes that I know'" , what kind of motivation do they have to learn?

This is a common mistake in the electrical field, people thinking that they need to learn the code or even that it's possible to learn the code. The only thing that's possible is to learn to read and interpret the code as it exist at any given time.

Even if someone memorized one code addition it would be useless in the next code cycle.

growler

I feel like they are my compadres, my brothers...guys that I can talk with to learn new things.

Electrical work isn't some sort of cult or commune, it's a business and like any other business it is competitive.

It probably doesn't have to be as cut throat as it is but it will always be competitive.

satcom

This is a common mistake in the electrical field, people thinking that they need to learn the code or even that it's possible to learn the code. The only thing that's possible is to learn to read and interpret the code as it exist at any given time.

Even if someone memorized one code addition it would be useless in the next code cycle.

So true, the code is not something you study, but something you refer to.

brian john

I only have one brother.

I'm no commie so I have no COMRADES

and after 25 years in business I have plenty of competitors.

I try to help out anyone I can, and have helped a few competitors when I thought my input would assist them.

Status
Not open for further replies.