How do you treat your peers?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

How do you treat your peers?

• I appreciate the more experienced and pass on my knowledge to those with less experience

Votes: 80 81.6%
  • I respect those with more experience than me and ignore those with less than me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I try to pass on my knowledge to the less experienced and ignore those that know more than me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't see the advantage of giving anybody else any advice based on my experience

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I do not like the wording of any of the other choices

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm not sure there is a better place for this question.

How do you treat electricians with more or less experience than you?

/anonymous poll

Last edited:
Are you sure you mean "experience" or do you mean knowledge?
Being 32 yrs old and only been doing this work for 9 years, i've run across many a co-worker that i won't let wire a three-way. I think that many guys end up doing repetative types of work and they get really good at it, but give them something out of the norm and they are lost quickly.

M. D.

I appreciate those with more experience who are willing to pass on the knowledge gained ,.as I pass on the knowledge I have to those with less of both.

I did not like the wording but almost picked the first choice .

ohmhead

Well i treat my help with respect and i work with my crew hands on out in the field this is the most important key in the trade .

Its not what one knows its all about showing what and how and then they become confidant on whats going on at work .

One man out of 10 man crew wants to learn you just have to fine them most have too much pride to come out and say it.

And some kinda pretend to know it all but you can weed them out just dont let them know you know and get them to turn around teach it in a way they can flow into the spot .

Every helper or electrician has something they can do better then the other we just have to fine what it is by hands on field work .

Ive seen lots of people come and go but the good ones are still with us .

Someone said once if you pull on the string it will follow but if you push on the string it will not !

By the way they can take my spot any day please i cant wait for that moment .

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Running a close second to the choice I appreciate the more experienced and pass on my knowledge to those with less experience is I do not like the wording of any of the other choices. I guess we need to define the term "peers". If another EC is playing by the same rules as me, hiring legal workers, paying payroll taxes, worker's comp, insurance, health benefits, etc. then he's my peer and I have no problem imparting knowledge I may have that he doesn't. On the other hand, if he wins a bid over me and he's hiring day workers off the side of the road and not paying any of the bennies he's not a peer and he gets nothing from me.

Most of us here in the forum have voiced our opinions and imparted some of our knowlwedge to others who have asked for it. I see no problem in doing that. On the other hand, I'm not going to give a blow by blow description on how to do a job start to finish.

It might be helpful if we could give some examples on exactly what type of info we all are willing to share.

480sparky

I have no peers.
mw_rolleyes.gif

e57

IMO it takes a little bit of primadonna to be in this trade - and there is a fine squiggly line drawn between people with varied experience and knowledge. I see it in evidence at work - in all trades, and here too.

[I include myself in the following statement as well.]
Most of what you think you know - you're convinced of... Some of what you're convinced of - is wrong... Half the battle of learning - is unconvincing yourself of certain things...

I learn new things all the time!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
After a while of thinking I might know everything, I began to understand there was a bit more. Along with that I figured out there was more than just my way of doing something. I try to treat everyone the same until I find out they really don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Is that one of the answers?

~Shado~

There will always be someone who knows more....try to obtain that.....and pass it on to others always.

I would roll over in my box if I knew someone in the future went and did some work for my decendants and it caused injury or worse to them, simply because others with knowledge refused to pass it on just for job security, or obstinence, or being a jerk...........and those who had the opportunity to learn and passed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.